That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Just Stuff

Morning all! It's another beautiful morning here in Campbell River, and it's another one of my days off, and I'm feeling pretty good.

Yesterday we did the grocery shopping (which I always enjoy), and had some lunch together. Then Michael and I watched Life of Brian, a movie that's been recommended to me a million times, but I've never bothered to watch before. It's pretty darn funny, and it made me think of Adrian in Prague, who quoted it frequently. Mental note: email Ade! Then Amy and I went for a walk. Or perhaps trek is the better word. We went on her "Two Hour Tour of the Neighborhood" and it involved some very steep hills. I felt like Iago in Aladdin when he gets stuck in the door. (*pantgaspwheeze*so, how did it go?).

Then we all cooked dinner together, and I'm so proud of myself, because I made Marta's Couscous Salad. When I was in Prague, we had a potluck, and Marta brought this absolutely amazing couscous salad. Everyone was fighting for it, and even the vegetarian was eating, albeit she was picking out the ham. It was INCREDIBLE! (What're you waiting for? I don't know, something amazing!). She kept insisting that it wasn't THAT hard to make, but I didn't believe here. So last night, I attempted it. It turned out great! It wasn't as drop dead Fantastic as hers was, but it was still pretty freakin' yummy.

And then because I was feeling all moody and stuff, I went outside to lay in the hammock and think. And I was focusing, like in the book I told you about a little while ago. And I thought to myself, maybe some of my friends would like to know this technique, because it might be helpful. So here is:

Elizabeth's Brief Summary of Focusing

1. Get comfy. Sit up, lie down, walk slowly, whatever works for you. You should be able to relax, and to be very internal. Minimize disruptions.

2. Chill. Just be there, for the time being. Let your mind wander and race.

3. Imagine. You're going to look at all the things that bother you, and set them aside for the time being. You can imagine putting each one in a box in a closet. I personally imagine them as bubbles in a blue sky. Anything that works for you.

4. Clear a space. As worries or images come to your mind, put them in a box/bubble/whatever-you're-using and set them in front of you. For me, I've been thinking about dating a lot, so I put the word 'dating' in a bubble, and tap it gently so it sits a ways away from me. Continue doing this until no more thoughts or worries come up for you.

5. Be in the space. Mentally push those boxes/bubbles away from you. You can still see them. They're still there. But now isn't the time to think about them. This is why I like bubbles for my imagery. Mentally, I tap them, and they just float a little ways away. Sit in this space, and realize that all these worries and such aren't suffocating you. You have room to breathe; room to be.

6. Listen to your body. Be in your body, trying to notice any tension or anxiety in it. For me, I get a knotty/nauseous feeling under my solar plexus. Find that feeling, and sit with it. When your brain starts chattering, tell yourself "I'll think about that later." What you're doing now is letting your body speak its knowledge. I know, I know. It sounds retarded. But it isn't. Your brain will usually speak to you fluently - that's the stuff you want to shut down for right now. Your body will usually speak to you in images, or single words. Wait and see what comes up for you. When I was doing this last night, a certain image came to mind, and I instantly started crying.

7. Sit with those feelings. FEEL those feelings. Imagine walking around the feeling, looking at it, touching it, being with it. Accept that you feel this way. Don't try and make it go away, don't try to understand it. Just be with it.

8. Most of the time, you'll undergo a felt-shift. This where that feeling that you're exploring in #7 will suddenly change. It will feel different, or it will go away entirely. It's pretty amazing.


So that's my guide! If you do bother to try it out... let me know, Ok? I know I really like it, and I'm curious what other people think.

All my love,
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home