That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Stack

Hi all,

not too much is new here. The weather's been lovely, so Michael and I have played some tennis, and I worked yesterday. When I got home, I tried to tidy up my desk a bit, but then realized that I'm currently reading ALL of the books on it. So I thought I'd fill you in on what I'm reading.

Redbook - The July issue of this women's magazine. Apparently, it's going to give me 62 reasons to love summer. This is good "I have 5 minutes before I have to leave for work" reading, as well as "I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open but I want to read for a bit" reading.

Tennis Skills: The Player's Guide, Sadzeck - I'm working on refining my forehand, before we go on to the backhand. I need more practice!

When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress, Mate - A fascinating book about the intimate mind-body connection. Apparently, a vast majority of people with ALS have similar life histories, including an inability to refuse to do any task. As a person who gets nauseous every time she gets stressed, I know all about my body bossing me around. If you're interested in this one, I also recommend Focusing (Eugene Gendlin), an amazing book that teaches you a technique to tap into your body's knowledge.

The Pale Horseman, Cornwell - The second in a series of books about the Danish invasion of England. Cornwell's an excellent storyteller, and I was sucked right in about his story of the English boy Uhtred who's taken captive by the Danes.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Rowling - I'm re-reading all the Harry Potter books (Rowling just announced that 2 more characters die in the next book - I wonder who it's going to be?!), and I'm now at #4. She also knows how to tell a good story.

The Love of a Good Woman, Alice Munro - A book of short stories that's taking me forever to get through because I'm not really a short story kind of girl. I always like I'm missing something, or that the end comes too soon. Then there's all of that interpretation business (I can't remember how many essays we read of interpretations of A Rose for Emily. Can a cigar not just be a cigar? Does it have to be a phallic symbolization??). So I'm working on it, slow but sure.

The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession, Orlean - Another book that's taking me a while to get through. I'm not a gardener by nature, so I'm not super interested in the flowers. The main characters, however, are quite quirky and interesting, so I'm still working through the book.

Where is God When it Hurts? Yancey - A thorough discussion of the theology of pain. Why does God let good people get terminal diseases, and similar questions. It's a tough read; some of the stories make me feel like weeping. But it provides some interesting insights into the "whys" of pain and suffering.

Galatians, Paul - The first in the Go Eat PopCorn books in the Bible (that's how we learned them at Camp Evergreen: Galatians, Ephesians, Phillipians and Colossians), it's a letter to the church at Galatia, warning them about hypocrisy, arrogance (thinking that early Christians who still followed the Jewish customs were better than early Gentile Christians), and false gospels. It also contains the list of what Christians should 'look' like: We should be filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentlesness and self-control. I'm working on it!

And that's my reading list. What're YOU reading right now?? On tomorrow's blog: Elizabeth's list of what she wants in a husband. Stay tuned!

Love,
Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 4:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A Rose for Emily is the only story that I read for class in high school that I actually remember.
    PS I love harry potter!! (damn Liana for getting me hooked on it!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home