That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Day One on the New Job

Good morning! How's everyone on this beautiful Monday? I, obviously, am having quite a good day! :)

I tried to get to bed a little earlier last night, but could not fall asleep before midnight or one. Dangers of being on the 3-11 shift and schedule, I guess. I had my alarm set for 7.30, and I woke up when I heard someone get up. I assumed it was Michael, and that it was about 6.30. Nope! It was Amy, who gets up at 5.30. And I was WIDE awake. I got up, let Jasper out for a potty break, and crawled back into bed. I fell sort of back to sleep, but was in that weird half asleep/half awake/all trippy dreams place. Just as I fell soundly asleep - *BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* Typical! I hit the snooze button, and slept for another 15 minutes. ;)

Then it was up and at 'em! I headed over to the Sportsplex for my first shift as an Instructor/Leader. I got my electric green t-shirt that says "Staff" on the back, which is cool - I feels all professional 'n' stuff! I also met the kiddos. I was with the older group (9-11) this morning. At that age the girls are generally pretty laid-back, just starting to get catty, and the boys are nuts. I spent like 15 minutes trying to talk a boy into putting his name tag ON his shirt instead of UNDER his shirt. Christophers are always so difficult. ;) Then I comforted a girl who was upset since it was her first day and she was nervous as she didn't know anyone. We sat down to colour together, and were soon joined by a gaggle of other girlies. One of them can talk. I mean, I know that I can talk the right leg off a hippo, but this girl took the cake! My name tag said Ela (I hate being called Liz, and little kids like short names), so the conversation went something like this....

"Ela? Ela? I can't remember the name of the street I live on. I can't remember it! Do you know the name of the street I live on? Suzie* and Phil live just down the street with their mom and step-dad and step-sister Lisa, and Lisa's half-sister Angelica has a friend Lacey, and Lacey has a hamster named Fred. I had a hamester named Shazaam, but he died, so we buried him next to Princess, who was my horse, but she died too (*editor's note: how do you bury a HORSE?). My uncle just died, so if I start crying today, it's just because I'm missing him a lot. His name is Greg and my dad's name is Greg too, and my dad and I went to the beach yesterday and my water shoes gave me BIG blisters and now I have band-aids on them and then I had to walk on the really hard cement and it hurt my feet. Wanna see my blisters?"

"Um... no, I don't think so." *smiles nicely, so the girl doesn't feel insulted*

"Oh, Ok. Well, my blisters hurt, and they're really big, and I might need new bandaids. And I don't have my earrings in right now, because I think that my ear might be infected. But I'll tell my mum about that. My mum told me she would buy me an MP3 player or a basketball net, and I picked an MP3 player..."

I'm running out of energy just transcribing it! She's so cute, and it's so sad that her uncle died. It was also her first day at the camp, so she and the other new girl hit it off pretty well. I got them talking to each other while colouring, and headed off to play battleship with one of the other girls. I also paused to suggest to the little boy sticking the rubber jumpy thing (you know the ones, they're like half a ball, and you press the middle down, and wait, and eventually they *pop* and go flying?) to his forehead that he might not want a HUGE hickey in the middle of his face. He disagreed. He now has a bruise the size of a twoonie right in the middle of his forehead (and when he was good, he was very, very good...)

And then it was 10.30, and time for me to go! I can't believe the amount of money I'm being paid to color, play battleship, and monitor minor battles. Of course, should there be an emergency of any sort, I'll be expected to know what's going on, and to take control of the situation. Let's all hope that there are NO emergencies!

I came home, hopped on Amy's bike, and went to the Dr's, to get my note signed. "Elizabeth is physically and mentally healthy, etc. etc..." The Dr. says "Like kids? Ever hurt, harmed or murdered a child? Have lice? Yes, no, no? Good." It was great! Now I'm home. I'm posting this, then eating lunch (I'm STARVING), doing laundry, cleaning the bathroom, and (potentially) cutting the lawn. I imagine it's my job to plan dinner tonight, too. Busy days off!

Oh, and remember my dating post? The one where I raged about the 2 kinds of Christian daters? Well, I met one of the number ones yesterday. We met online, and were chatting on MSN for the first time last night when I got home from wherever I was... oh yeah, playing tennis with Michael (I'm getting better, if you care!). Anyhoo, we were chatting. All's pretty normal at first: what do you do, do you like BC, where are you from, etc. etc. Then he asks me what I'm looking for in a man. Well, we all know I've thought that out, so I gave him the short version. All of a sudden he's listing off the ways that HE specifically meets them. Ooook... and THEN he asks (first time we're talking! first time!) if I want to settle down and have kids! Good Lord! We all know how I feel about the whole kids' issue and I'd essentially decided to just not think about it for the time being... so much for that plan! So I just stated that I'm not sure because I have stuff to do first (grad school, working and living abroad), and HE says:

"I guess things between us wouldn't really work out then, since I wouldn't want to hold you back."

Things between us? Hold me back? Dude, you don't even know my last name! We've never met! We've been talking on MSN for 15 minutes! This is EXACTLY the kind of person I was talking about in my dating post. He's a Christian, I'm a Christian, so apparently that means we'll skip any sort of normal 'getting to know you' process, and just jump right into the 'are we ready to be life partners' process. Huh. IT'S SO WEIRD. I don't get it! I mean, clearly, I don't think 'things between us' would 'really work out' since I DON'T KNOW YOU, and you're already on the 'I want a wife and babies!' bandwagon. Bizarre. Men are bizarre. That's the only answer!

Anyhoo, that's what's new in the life of Elizabeth. And Venus and Serena Williams had better watch out, because I might just drop out of grad school and work full-time to pay someone to KICK THEIR BUTTS! ;)

Love,
me.

*all names changed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home