That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Nights on the Town

Morning all! I just rolled out of bed, and it's a little late, even for me. :) But I didn't get in til 3, so I figured it was allowed! The less nice part (sort of) is that I start my new part-time job tomorrow, and will have to get up at 7.30 Unheard of!! :D

I worked last night, til close, and then N. and her friend V. picked me up. We went over to V's house, where we got changed and prettied ourselves up. V has the cutest flat!! She decorated it all, and it's absolutely adorable. V phoned a friend, and left a message saying "we're going out on the town, hopefully we'll run into you if you're out on the town, too." If you said that to someone in Prague, it could potentially work, but it really isn't very likely. There are just too many pubs and clubs! But here in CR it's the strippers, or it's the VooDoo. The peelers aren't appealing to me or my friends, so the VooDoo it was.

Everyone warned me that it would be gross and disgusting, but it wasn't terrible. It wasn't very big - maybe the size of the Stonehouse in Edmonton, or ... That really expensive place with the red walls in Prague, where we went briefly on the pubcrawl. Fairly small, but with a dancefloor, which is all that matters to me!

We rolled in around 12, and things were still pretty quiet. We got a drink, and while we were standing in line, K from the Pier showed up! She was with a big group of friends, one of whom was the C that I went on that coffee date with. The one that didn't go well; no connection. So we said 'hi' to all of them, and then left them to their own doings while we went and danced. Do I ever love dancing! And N is willing to do all kinds of dumb stuff, just like me, so we were busting out the clock, and various other geek dances. We took a break, and I ran into...

...a young offender that lived in the treatment home I worked in. I said 'hi,' and he was like "Elizabeth!!" He gave me a huge hug, and said "Can I buy you a beer? I really want to buy you a beer!"

"No thanks, I don't think that's such a good idea! Are you even old enough to be in here?"

"Yeah! I turn 20 this year. And I've cut my drinking in 1/2! I've got a girlfriend in Edmonton, and a job doing some roofing. Things are good!"

So we chatted a bit, and said goodbye, and I wandered off. It's so bizarre, because those kids hated me when I worked there. I was only 20 then, and only a few years older than the kids. I was also the 'summer student' which meant I was low man on the totem pole. I followed the rules religiously, a) because I like rules, and I thought ours generally made sense, and b) because I didn't have the authority to bend them. The guys didn't understand that idea, and called me RoboCop. RoboCop! But apparently all of that is forgotten when you meet the aforementioned RoboCop in the VooDoo in CR.

N and I danced some more, saw Je. from the Pier (being out in CR is all about who you run into...) and decided we were ready to go. V., however, had met a cute boy, and was NOT ready to head home. So we kept dancing, and the WEIRDEST thing happened. They had this thing called 'last call,' and then they turned the lights on, and the music off, and told us to leave! Ok, Ok - so I do actually know about this, but I never stayed that late at the clubs in Edmonton, and this kind of thing didn't happen so early in Prague. We did get kicked out the Konvikt one night, but the barman just took our glasses and started turning the benches up!

Everyone wandered out into the parking lot, and I was chatting with C. (bad date guy) and N while we waited for our ride. C's a smoker, and a Newfie showed up asking to buy a cigarette. He introduced himself as P. , and we started chatting. He said something about "where you to?" and I laughingly said "stay where you're at til I come where you're to!" (stay where you are til I get there). He was rather impressed, and proceeded to teach me the correct pronunciation of b'y (boy). He was a very hesitant speaker, and I assumed he'd had a few too many, but he suddenly said "I'm not drunk, I have a stutter!" Aah... that explains it. So we talked about where he's working, and where I work - and he wanted to know why on earth we were scooping ice cream at the Pier (he'd just found out I have a BA and was teaching English in Europe). I told him I was heading back to school in the fall to do my Masters.

"In what?"

"Speech Pathology."

His whole face lit up, and for one of the few times, someone clearly knew what speech pathology was. He grabbed my arm, "God bless ya, love! God bless ya. God bless ya."

We chatted a moment or two more about how hard life is if you stutter, and what a difference a good SLP can make. Then N and V and I headed for home.

All in all, quite the night. I'm not sure I want to do it again this summer, but it was definitely fun to go once - I've seriously missed dancing!

Love,
Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 8:05 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you had an awesome night. It's pretty amazing that you ran into so many people that you know...and you thought you didn't know anybody there! And I'm glad you miss dancing, because I do too, and I really looking forward to getting out one night when you get back.

     
  • At 4:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Me too!!

    -Liana

     

Post a Comment

<< Home