That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dictionary

So apparently (according to Michael and N.) I'm quite the wordsmyth. I admit, I enjoy inventing new words to suit my current mood, but it can cause problems for those attempting to sort out what on earth I'm actually saying. Here then is the first installment of "Elizabeth's Dictionary." Or perchance "Pistachio's Dictionary."*

Fandangus, adj. - really awesome. So fantastic, you want to do the fandango.

Fark, n. - a more polite version than another four letter word beginning with 'f' that I use when I do things like smash my elbow on the door at work, causing blood and a bruise, and don't want the customers to run away to plug their small children's ears. Also fun because it rhymes with "snark," and I'm quite fond of Lewis Carrol's "The Hunting of the Snark." (Antidiluvian! Another good word).

Redonkulous
, adj. - a variation on "ridiculous" used to emphasive the sheer ridiculousness of the situation by using an even more ridiculous word.

Skookum, adj. - a West Coast Salish word that I'm not sure I spelled right. It means "this is more than adequate" or "this is really good." I really like it, and just learned it yesterday, when Michael declared that the wheelbarrow at Home Depot was skookum, and I thought he said gookum, which is the Plains Cree word for grandma. I was confused.

Spritzle
, vb. - meaning to lightly rain, most often when the sun is still managing to shine.

That's it for the first installment. I'll keep you posted, lest more should arise.

Love,
Elizabeth

*Tonight at work, I was mouthing off to some of the locals. All of a sudden G. (a rather good looking early-40-something comes up to me and says "Hazelnuts or pistachios?"

"Pistachios, " I replied. "Why're you asking?"

"Given that you seem to be a member of the peanut gallery, I thought you needed a nutty name."

doh!! Terrible, I know. But still rather funny. Given that my last nickname was Wallace, after Wallace and Grommit (apparently my cheery smile reminds people of claymation, boo!) I think Pistachio might be a step up in the world!






















2 Comments:

  • At 9:04 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    I say Fark ALL the time too! Although you have to be careful to enunciate it as "Fark" or people will mishear you, and that kinda defeats the purpose of saying fark.

    I've also heard redonkulous a lot! I like that word 'cause it's lots of fun to say.

     
  • At 9:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, i have another wor for a light sprinkling of rain: smur. Apparently it's used it Scotland.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home