That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Nine Ladies Dancing

Good morning!

I went to Harry Potter last night, and it was pretty darn good. It's two weaknesses (I thought) were 1) a patchworky feeling because they had to leave so much out, and 2) Mad Eye didn't actually bounce Draco-the-weasel/ferret on the ground. I got the distinct impression from the book that Draco was hitting the ground and bouncing back up. Darn. That was the best part of the book! I really enjoyed it, though, and thought it stayed pretty true to the spirit of the book. I also loved how Harry spit out his juice when he smiled at Cho. Such a throw-away shot, but so worth it.

I went to church this morning and promptly was schwacked over the head with good ol' (well, not old, because it's the first time I've ever experienced it) Christmas homesickness. All those carols, and reading Luke 2, and Christmas in general.... I was just completely overwhelmed with this intense desire to get home NOW. I spent most of the service being a total baby and crying silently in my seat, while my friends sitting on either side of me worried that I was sick, and if they should do anything. Rather embarassing, but I've come to accept the fact that I'm total cryer, and there's no point in trying to hold it back, because then I start snuffling, and if there's one thing worse than crying when you're 22 it's snuffling. So. After the service the nicest lady came up to me (someone I've seen before but never spoken to) and told me that this is her and her husband and son's first time away from family for Christmas, too, and she knows just how I feel. I AM NOT ALONE! wOOt! So we commiserated on our Christmas misery, and I felt much better. I'm hoping that this is it: I'll be sad now, and get over it and be deliriously joyful (or just, you know, peaceful and content) while I'm in England.

I'm going to a carol service tonight - here's hoping the waterworks don't start up again. I think a good-sized group of us is going, so it should be quite nice.

Have a happy Sunday!

Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 12:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's two weaknesses? It's two weaknesses?!!

    ELIZABETH!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home