That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Four Calling Birds

No one caught it! I screwed up, and no one said anything! People, it's two TURTLE DOVES, and then four CALLING BIRDS. Not two calling birds! I have corrected my mistake, and decided that it's actually really hard to do the song "backwards" (aka starting from one, instead of from 12).

I'm feeling rather festive and seasonal today, as Christmas-type activities are starting to line up. This Thursday is Skrinvanek's Christmas party, which I'm looking forward to. I met another teacher today, and he seems really nice (he's Irish, and he moved here to be with his girlfriend), so I know I'll know a few people there, and will probably meet lots more. Then David told me about 30 Kc skating!! You only have to pay for the rental, so I'm hoping to do that this weekend. Was it really busy David? I hope that I can get in. :) I looove skating. Jake, I miss going skating with you. When I go skating, I will think of you! Sunday morning is the IBCP "Christmas Service" since so many of the regular attendees go away for Christmas, and Sunday night is a carol service at St. Clement's Anglican Church. If anyone wants to join me for the service, I'm meeting people outside of Tescos at 5:30 PM on Sunday to take the yellow line out to the church. Hope some of you will make it! (Um, for those of you in N. America - I know you'll be there in spirit.) :D

Only 3 classes today. I got confused about class a student cancelled in advance, and showed up for one that I didn't need to. Oops! Oh well, a little trip out to Ceskomoravska isn't any big deal. It's good for me! Builds character, and all that jazz.

Only 3 classes tomorrow, too. My two person class has one student on holidays, and since he's on holidays, the other one is working twice as hard at his normal work, and doesn't have time for English this week. I'm liking the relaxed schedule... but I imagine that Jan. 15's paycheque will be a bit of a wakeup call. I've had ... 4 classes cancelled this week alone! Christmas season is not a good time to work on a "per class" basis. Boy, would a salary be sweet right about now!
But I'm happy as can be. I really like teaching, and I'm looking forward to doing Christmas activities with my students. I have a few lined up, but could really use some more ideas... Kim, Bari and Karlie (oh faithful commenters) do you remember any Christmas things you used to don in elementary school?

I leave for the Isle of Wight in nine days - woo hoo, down to the single digits! Another schwack-load of beautiful Christmas cards arrived yesterday, and I'm thrilled. I'm also like a 4 year old, and keeping picking them up, just to "look at the outside" while I'm waging internal battle about keeping them for England and not reading them now. I also have to completely ignore the Christmas tree and that which is kept under it in order to restrain myself from peeking at whatever it is that mum has sent me for Christmas. I'm guessing... stocking stuffers from Vicky's Secret (does she even HAVE a secret anymore?) and a tshirt, but I could be wrong!

I took a "Christmas photo" of myself today that I'll try to get up on the blog in the next few days. I'm wearing turquoise and black, but I'm sitting by a tree, so I figure it counts for Christmas. I also took some snaps of the flat, so y'all can check that out. But I don't have time for that today, unfortunately, because I have to teach. Check back - um - Thursday, maybe. Who knows?!

Anyhoo, time to skedaddle to the metro and out to wherever the heck my next class is (all I know is that I get off the metro, onto the bus, and ride the bus to the LAST STOP). I totally need to start marking all of my classes on some kind of online map so that you guys can see where I teach! Does this sort of online thingamajig exist? Hm. Must use "widely known search engine" and check this out.

Love you all!

Elizabeth

PS FOUR calling birds, not TWO! Two TURTLE DOVES! Duh!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:55 a.m., Blogger Bari said…

    Okay, it's really easy for me to say this after the fact, so if you don't believe me, that's fine. but when you had 2 Calling Birds I was like, "2 calling birds?" Then I sang the song to myself. The problem is that I'm extremely lazy and I didn't want to sing the whole thing so all I sang was, "Two calling birds, and a partridge in a pear tree!" And then I thought to myself, "Well, that sounds okay, it must be right. Elizabeth wouldn't screw up something like that, anyways." Well, that's what I get for being lazy!

    I will try and think of some Christmas stuff, but right now I'm drawing a blank. I'll let you know.

     
  • At 9:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What about pics of the city?

     
  • At 10:47 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Hmmm - we usually made Christmas crafts, not activites. I went to a school that was kind of lazy. Ummmm, what about a simple word search?(ack, kitty hopped in my lap) Writing a letter to Santa for fun? I know that they're adults, but you could get them to pretend they're kids again.

    *hugs*

     
  • At 12:27 p.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    David - the one at Narodni Trida.

    Bari - you rock! Good job being lazy.

    Anonymous - I'm not much of a photo taker, and there are tons of nice Prague photos on the web. I figure I'll stick with photos of stuff that's more personal for me.

    Karlie - I love the letter to Santa idea, thanks!

     
  • At 12:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    K, being a French Immersion kid I found we were often deprived of certain activites...like science fairs!! Darn English kids. Ok, I'll quite the bitterness. Christmas activites: Well, I remember making and decorating a Christmas stocking (for my cat however), we did christmas scenes with plastercine (how do you spell that?) on small squares of cardboard, well visits from santa. Couldn't you dress up like santa and hand out some sort of mini symbolic gifts (I leave that totally up to you to come up with and absolved myself from that one).
    Well, that's all I've got. My memory clearly does not go back that far.
    K, does anyone else find that occasionally they can hardly read those darn letters we have to put in to post and have to do it again?

     
  • At 4:02 p.m., Blogger Bari said…

    Kim - I can usually read them, but I often type really fast and put in the wrong ones. I also have a tendency to brush my touchpad the wrong way and hit the equivalent of "back," so I've taken to highlighting and copying every comment I write. That way, if I screw something up, I can just paste it in and pretend like nothing happened. I think it's only ever come in handy one time, but as soon as I stop doing it I'm sure I'll wish I hadn't!

     
  • At 12:27 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Thanks Kathie and Brandon! You two are very sweet. I will try and take more pictures over Christmas in the Isle of Wight. All of these compliments are going to give me a big head!

    I love you guys, and hope you're having a wonderful advent season.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home