That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Anniversary

Happy anniversary, happy anniversary, happy anniversary, HAPPY anniversary!

Yes indeed folks - I have now been in Prague for three months. In some ways it feels like forever, and in others - well, I can't believe I've been gone for so long!! :) As a present to myself, I discovered that I can listen to CISN Country 103.9 online - yay! Of course, I can only do it when Megan isn't here (she hates country), but it sure makes my day!

I started another new class today, and it went really. I can't get over how much I like my students, and how much I like teaching. I'm not such a fan of lesson planning... but it has to be done. I have quite a bit to do this weekend, but that should help keep me busy. Megan and I are going to check out the Christmas market in Wenceslas Square Saturday afternoon, and Saturday evening I'm going to American Thanksgiving with a friend and her friends. I think it should be a lot of fun.

I had my first Czech lesson today. It was ... interesting. When I arrived, both of the other students were chatting with the teacher, half in English and half in Czech. Wait a minute! How on earth are they speaking some Czech? I know I missed the first lesson (had to teach that intensive course), but still... how did they manage to do sentence construction and learn enough vocab for this?? What's going on?? Oh, I'll tell you what's going on. I've been put in an elementary class!! I'm not elementary! I'm beginner! I know all of 10 words in Czech! I think I'm going to have to study at home if I want to catch up, but it's hard, because I know absolutely nothing! Czech grammar is very complex (for my ling friends - it has 7 cases, 4 genders, and lots of exceptions to rules), and I don't even have a toehold for climbing this mountain. Good thing I'm not being tested on it!

Well, I'm starving, so I'm going to go and heat up some soup. And eat it with crackers. Mmm crackers. Dad brought like 4 boxes of crackers for me, which rocks, because you can't get them here, and I was really missing them. You don't what you've got til it's gone, and that includes goldfish! (I love this fishes 'cuz they're so delicious).

Love you all,
elizabeth

4 Comments:

  • At 9:49 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Lol, Angela and I had that exact same arrangement when we lived together too. Country was ONLY played in her room! And Wenceslas square? Like, "Good King Wenceslas"? That's my favourite Christmas carol!

    And lastly, you'll be getting more goldfish. Yay!

     
  • At 9:59 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Good King Wenceslas was King of the Czech Republic at one point in time. My knowledge of history is awful - it wouldn't have been the Czech Republic then.... Anyway, he's a real person, and he's riding a large horse in the middle of the square!

     
  • At 12:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth, I feel it my ethical obligation to inform you that you could be listening to modern rock on Sonic 102.9 instead of country. Just goto radiosonic.fm and you too can take the moral high ground. And remember, we're rootin' for yuh.

     
  • At 8:28 p.m., Blogger jenanne said…

    Elizabeth!

    i am happy to hear you had a lovely time with your dad...

    i also just wanted to say good luck on your grad school applications... (that is what i'm working on right at this moment, sort of)

    & also good luck with the the Czech... i think you'll find the slavic case system quite easy, even quite efficient, once you're familiar with them. i know they'll seem more sensical soon.

    (the ř will no doubt be the hardest part!)

    take care,
    ~jenanne.

    ps: all i know about king wenceslas is that he was canonized as a saint, is called Václav in Czech, & lived in the 900s, i think...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home