That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

An Update Just for Kim OR Eight Weeks Gone, Eight Months Left to Go

Hi all!

A brief posting, as I'm tired, but Kim has complained that I've ceased posting daily. It's true! I confess! But not so much has been happening these days!

I will tell you a mildly funny anecdote, though. Yesterday I met with a student who is very friendly and polite. She works for a company called Milkpol. When I first went there, I thought to myself "I wonder what this company does? I wonder what the word "milk" means in Czech...." Turns out it means "milk." :) The company distributes dairy products throughout Europe! The whole office is decorated with cows, so I feel right at home there.

Anyway, we are halfway through our lesson on Wednesday, and we are right Smack Dab in the middle of a reading. All of a sudden, my tummy growls! It was pretty loud, so I said excuse me (this is what happens when all you eat in the morning is a yogurt... good yogurt, but only a yogurt). As soon as I apologized, my student says "do you want some cheese?" I said "no thanks" given that we were right Smack Dab in the middle of something, and I was teaching, and it was generally not a cheese appropriate time. Completely ignoring me, she leaps up, and races off. When she comes back she has a salad plate heaped with cheese. I smile weakly. She says that it's the company's finest cheese, and it comes from Poland. Feeling that I have to be polite, I nibble on a few small pieces, and try to get the focus back on, oh say, learning English, which is what I'm being paid to teach. (Sadly, being paid to eat cheese is not in my contract). At the end of the lesson there is still a goodly pile of cheese on the plate. As I get up to leave, my student picks up the cheese, runs out of the room, and comes back with it in a baggy! She absolutely insisted that I take it home. Now, I like cheese, and this Polish cheese was very nice, but it was quite rich, and by this time it was warm, too. Eeew warm cheese. I graciously thanked her, headed out the door, rode the bus with my cheese in hand... and dumped it in the next rubbish bin. :) Talk about a cheesy lesson. *groan*

That's it! That's the update for today. Catch alls y'all later!

Love,
Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 3:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fabulous update. I feel so much more complete after having read it.
    Talk about a cheesy story though. :P

     
  • At 11:56 p.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    My heart leaps with joy to know that you are moderately completed by my very punny story!! Have a good day, ducky.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home