That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Hum dum dum diddy dum

As you may have guessed from the title, nothing major is happening these days. Which, I must admit, I'm incredibly grateful for. A couple of weeks of quiet routine are just what I need. That being said, there are a few little things to tell you about!

Did you the Czechs are pokey? And I don't mean slow! My friend Courtney went to try and get a month long bus pass from one of the metro stations. She was having a terrible time sorting out which kiosk she needed to be at, and was endeavouring to get some assistance from a short tempered Czech metro employee when the employee jumped out from behind her little window, started shouting at Courtney (in Czech, of course) and poked her repeatedly to get her to move to the correct window. Poor Courtney almost cried!!

I also almost cried the other morning. It was 6:45 am, and I was in the metro, heading out to my class that's on the outskirts of Prague. I trot up to the doors to the red line, and lo and behold... they're locked! This has never happened before! Why are they locked? I need to get to work! There are multiple announcements being made, but they're all in Czech. I panicked for about 4 seconds, and then found a metro employee who spoke English. When asked what was going on, she cheerfully replied "there's a man under the train, so the line is closed!" She gave me a big smile, and asked where I needed to get to. She gave me directions for an incredibly round about way to get there. It took me soooo long to get to work, but my students are never on time, so no one noticed that I was exactly on time. When I asked my students about the occurence, they stated that throwing oneself under a train or tram is a very common suicide method here. How tragic! I suppose that it gets them the attention in death that they didn't think they had in life? While I did feel very sorry for the poor man, I was also a bit angry with him that he chose to do himself in right as I was trying to get to work!

Work is being a bit frustrating right now. I have enough classes to squeek by at the moment, but they keep getting cancelled! And if they cancel in advance, I don't get paid. This is fair, of course, but so frustrating! I really, really need more contact hours, not to have the ones I have get cancelled! Please pray that I will pick up another 10 contact hours, and that they'll stop cancelling my classes!!

I went out for dinner with Abbey (who I met at the IBCP Bible study) last night, and Megan joined us. It was such a great time! Abbey is very friendly and chatty, and so the three of us ate nummy cabbage soup (which is completely necessary now, because it has turned quite chilly here) and nattered away at each other in a most pleasant manner last night. She's going to be on fall break now, and I believe she's going to Brussels, but when she returns she's going to take us to a pancake house! Mmm... I haven't had pancakes since my birthday breakfast at Denny's with Hilary! How exciting.

But that's all that's new and exciting in my life. Hope you're all doing well. I'd love to hear from you!

Love always,
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home