That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Just Another Day in Prague-idise

Ahoj all!

Here I am in sunny Prague (and enjoying the sun immensely; I didn't realize how overcast Prague is most of the time). It's 10:32 AM, I've finished teaching one of my two classes for the day, and I don't teach again til tonight at 4:30. It's funny how "gappy" an EFL teacher's life is from Monday to Friday. No complaints, though, as I have the weekends off! :)

I'm still really struggling with all my darn emotions, though. It's so strange: from 5:45 am to about 7:00 pm, I'm fine. I'm busy and I'm happy and I generally like what I'm doing (it's a bit stressful being as I'm so new at it, but I like my students and I like teaching). Come about 7, though, I'm suddenly fighting back tears and just feeling incredibly sad. I've got more of a social life here than I've ever had before, I keep myself busy and surround myself with people I like, and I still feel like all I want to do is cry!! I suppose a lot of it is just how new everything is here. I'm doing all of these things all by myself all in a foreign country, and I'm just not getting settled in as quickly as I thought I would. I'm also stressed about a few things (you could all please continue praying that I get some more contact hours), and I tend to be very tired at the end of my days (getting at 5:45... icky) so those things contribute, too.

My goal right now is just to accept how I'm feeling, and to actually let myself feel the emotions. Mum swears up and down that if I just sit down and weep a little and say "right now I'm feeling very, very sad" that the sadness will lose its power. She suggested, and I agree, that right now I'm really learning what it means to have emotions, and to actually experience those emotions. For a long time, I think I kind of shoved the feelings under the rug until they got too big to hold back, and then had a major freak out. Not such a good way of dealing. Now I'm working on feeling them as they come, and then letting them go. Hopefully sooner or later (sooner, please!) I'll be able to let go of this sadness and homesickness, and just be content here.

I realize that this is a very quiet and rather boring post, but you're my family and friends, and I wanted to let you know where I'm at. Days are good, evenings are hard, nights are full of sleeping. Tonight is pub night, which is great, because I won't have time to be anything but happy and chatty as I hang with my mates.

Hope you're all having a great day!

Love,
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home