That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, October 10, 2005

'Cause I'm BACK - Back in the Pragueian Groove

Oh yeah, feeling waaaaaaaaaaay better today. Slept the night through for the first time after 4 nights of mostly being awake. I'm totally grooving on feeling like normal. It'll be completely back to normal once I'm off this restricted diet thing. As of today I'm allowed to slowly add in other things, so it shouldn't be too long before things are as they were before. Minus about 5 pounds of me. I already was losing weight when I got sick, but now my black belt won't go small enough for me, so I can't wear it. I'm torn between cheering (yeah, lost some weight!) and being distressed because that's one less belt for me to use to hold my somewhat saggy pants up!! :) It is time to find an alterations shop here, and have some taking in done.

I got up bright and early this morning (I have to get up bright and early every weekday morning. The Czech people like having language classes at 7:30 or 8 AM for some reason unknown to Canadians and Americans) and headed off to my first class. It went pretty well, I think. It's only an hour long, so it went by really quickly. We worked on business letters dealing with requests for information. We also came up with handy phrases the student can use when answering the telephone (yay for practical uses of English in the workplace) and talked a bit about a photo of her family. It's weird: my 90 minute classes feel slightly too long, but the 60 minute one was just about too short. Maybe 75 minutes is the key here.... Oh well, I don't get a say in it; I just show up and teach!

Two more classes today, one at the Autosalon (we're doing the present simple in the context of trade fairs... oh exciting!) and my favorite evening class (we're doing comedy/humor!!). The Autosalon class is one of my lowest levels, clocking in at a solid pre-intermediate. This is a challenging level to work with, because if allowed to talk about what they want to talk about, they can sound very competent. However, if you push them to use other skills (e.g. listening skills - listen to a tape, then answer q's about it), they really struggle. The trick for me is figuring out when they actually don't know something, or when they're just being too lazy to try and put the pieces together!! But the student (I've only had one so far, but there are supposedly going to be 2 today) is really nice, and I enjoy working with him. The evening class is indeed my favorite class so far, and I'm so excited to do humor with them. This includes the telling of 3 jokes - we'll see how that goes over!! Humor is one of the hardest things to grasp in a new language, so I imagine tonight will be challenging. Hopefully, it will also be fun!!

The Canadian BeerPizzaThanksgiving Celebration was postponed due to a lack of lesson planning by my mates. They all had to stay at home and work! The general Dueker-Huebert decision right now is to hold off for a couple of weeks, and hold a hybrid Canmerican (Amerinadian?) Thanksgiving. We may even attempt something of the poultry family roasted, if we can find cheap, one use bakeware. We're all too broke for the good stuff! I shall keep you posted.

Well, I hope this post finds you all happy and healthy. Kathie, how are you feeling? Also, please note the difference between this Monday and last Monday. God indeed can do miraculous things! Happy Turkey Day to you and yours!!!

Love,
Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 7:39 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    I'm so glad you're feeling better! I was in Dryden for the weekend going through the high stress of meeting Sean's parents (it went good though), so I wasn't checking the internet.

    I'm really not sure about the holiday though, you've got me there! There's nothing particularly special happening around May 31, it's not a solstice or an equinox, nor anything religious or anything else like that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home