That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Friday, October 14, 2005

#50

Wow, I've already written 50 posts.... How amazing is that?? :) It has been a quiet couple of days, but I wanted to get back to you guys and let you know how I'm doing.

My emotions are feeling a bit more settled as of yesterday and today. I don't think that I'm out of the woods yet, and I imagine there will be a few more weepy nights. However, mum's advice to just feel the emotions seems to be helping me to cope with them. I have also clearly decided what it is that I want, and I'm able to focus on that.
1) I want to be here.
2) I want to have a good year here. One where I don't just survive, but I flourish!
3) I want to enjoy my time here, savoring the experience of living abroad.

I think all of those things are possible, with Jesus' help. My job is to keep busy and focussed, and to hang on to him, and I know that he will provide and care for me. This is certainly going to be a growing experience, but I know that I'm up for the challenge!!

Enough of the feelings talk! More stories, Elizabeth, more fun stuff! Well, nothing too exciting has happened recently. Things are settling into a routine, and I really like that sense of rhythm. On Thursday, I taught two classes. I think that both went quite well. The first one was tough, because we were using a system of classifying questions that I haven't used before. I read up on it, and thought I was prepared, but there was a bit of confusion that had to be cleared up. Darn! Oh well. I am brand new at this, I guess I'm allowed a bit of confusion! The second class was sweet. It was just in the zone. My time management was great, the students were challenged by the tasks but were able to do them, and the game we played at the end worked beautifully. I LOVE classes like that!! Hopefully there are many more to come. :)

I spent a couple of hours at the pub night last night, visiting with students and friends. The Czech students have great senses of humor, and had me laughing the whole time. I also got the chance to visit with a few of the new trainees. It seems like so long ago that I was in the Oxford program, but it was really only 2 weeks ago! Man, time is weird here. It seems to go by so quickly, and yet it seems like I've been here forever. It's the strangest thing, really. :)

This morning I taught my very first business English class. Yay for leases and finance leases and purchase leases and open-end leases and.... Well, you get the point. :) The hard part is that, while I know the English, I don't really know the distinctions from the business perspective. In some ways I learned more this morning than my student did! This is going to be one of my most challenging classes. I'm definitely going to have stay ahead of the material so that I can teach this guy what he needs to know!

Tonight I'm going to check out the IBCP (International Baptist Church of Prague) Bible study. It's a ways away from where I live, but I think I'll be able to find it. God bless a good metro system and a good map! I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people who are my age. I'm really hoping to make some friends at church, and I think that this is a good opportunity.

Tomorrow night is a party at Rob and Marta's that I'm looking forward to. I always like seeing where other people live! Hopefully it will be fun.

And that's all my news, folks! I hope you all have a great day, and if you have a couple of spare minutes, drop me a line.

Love,
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home