That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Sundays are for Medieval Festivals

Evening all! Today is Sunday, and it's been a lovely day all around.

I made it to church this morning, and I really quite liked it. I attended the Prague International Baptist Church, and the people were really friendly and welcoming. They estimate that they have 25-30 nationalities present in a congregation of maybe 50. Kinda cool! Today was their induction (British term for installation) of their new pastor, so it was neat to be there for that. I look forward to going back next Sunday, and I realize how much I've missed going to church.

This afternoon a bunch of us from our class went out for lunch and found another medieval festival! It's great how these things just "pop" up. We sat in the grass for hours, listening to the music and watching the costumes. We were also watching the two drunk Czech men run their vendors' stands... it was very interesting. One would only stand if he absolutely thought that there was a chance of making a sale, and the other kept dancing around and singing to us. It was really cute. The dancing one was selling teeny little shots of the traditionaly Czech plum liquor, so Courtney and I went down to try a bit. He wouldn't take our money, but instead serenaded us as we tried it. It tasted like burning! We found out after that the stuff is 100 proof, and could probably strip wallpaper. No more plum liquor for this girl.

It started getting chilly, so I headed off for home. On the way, I saw a man walking a gerbil... I mean dog. This little thing was maybe half the size of Michael and Amy's Jasper.... I was wondering why the owner bothered with a leash at all; why not just put it in a hamster ball and roll it down the sidewalk? ;)

Now I'm in the internet cafe, checking emails and such. No one is emailing me. Not even my family (except for Jake... thanks, kiddo!) You all should be very ashamed of yourselves, forgetting about me like that!! Pretty soon I'll head for home, and call mum and dad. Tomorrow I'm going into Skrivanek to sort out my schedule, and I teach my first class at 5:30 PM, which is 9:30 AM your time. Pray for me, please!

I hope you all are well. Anna-Lisa, I want to hear about the wedding, and I want to see some photos!

Love you all,
Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 6:30 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    I hope you're feeling better now! I lived off DayQuil and NyQuil the last little while, although once they gave me antibiotics I felt MUCH better.

    I have never tasted 100 proof before, and I can only imagine it, since I have trouble doing shots that are only a quarter of that!

    Lastly, I am SO jealous. Do you know how long it's been since I've been in an IKEA? The closest Canadian IKEA to me is in EDMONTON. Seriously. There's one in Minneapolis, 8 hours away, but it's in the States.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home