That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Oooh, I LOVE my life!

Hello mes amis!

I was totally right about time speeding right back up. Wow, did the end of this week fly by! I finished an audiology lab, a speech-science lab, and most of a phonology lab (the last bit's for Sunday). Go me!

Wednesday night I went to the concert at the Blue Chair. It was so amazing. Wendy reminded me a bit of Lisa Loeb and a teeny tiny bit of Feist. She plays the guitar and the accordion (not simultaneously!) and it was very cool to watch her persona change when she switched instruments. She also did very funky things with her vowels when she sang. I realize I'm a speech geek for noticing, but it was cool. If I only heard her sing, I'd guess she had an accent, but such was not the case. :) I strolled in the house shortly at 11 - late nights are back, baby!

Thursday I worked in the library on my phonology lab with Megan til we both became bored to utter tears, and decided dinner at Wendy's was a much better plan. ;) Then we headed to the IVCF worship night, which was nice, though neither of us felt like mingling. We were non-minglers. We tried - we talked to TWO whole different people. But then we just stuck together. :) I snuck out early, so that I could go to my hockey game. Where, sadly, we lost again, 5-2. It was awesome that we got a couple goals, though! I got my head mashed into the boards a couple times, and saw stars once. I didn't know that actually happened! Very exciting! I'm feeling rather sore this morning. :) Funny thing: We are SUCH girls on the ice. One of the girls on the other team tripped me accidentally, and turned around and yelled "sorry!"

"That's Ok," I yelled back "all part of the game!"

Today, I got home at 10.30, yay! Our cadaver lab was excellent; all about swallowing and dysphagias (swallowing disorders). I didn't like the bit where we watched a video of an elderly man almost choking to death though, it was very stressful. Then we took almonds and kids' candies (you know, like Scooby-Doo snacks), and wedged them into our cadaver's pharynx, so we could see how choking really works, and what it looks like. It was a bit surreal, but also very cool.

I came home, did all of my laundry (well sort of - it's sitting in a lump in a laundry basket now. I hate folding it and putting it away!!), made some lunch, wrote some emails, and made some phonecalls.

One of these phonecalls was particularly exciting. A woman left a message for me yesterday re: my services as an ESL tutor. Turns out she's been recruited to find a lektorka for two Czech women who just recently moved to Canada! What are the odds?? Since my ad states that I lived in Prague for 8 months, she chose to call me. :) Unfortunately, these two ladies speak VERY little English, and I speak right around the same amount of Czech. The recruit was hoping I was fluent. :) I put a bit of thought into it, and realized that I've still got my Czech textbook from my language lessons. I think that I can work backwards from those, and create lessons that have Czech translations for most, if not all, of the English in them. As I sorted through my papers tonight, I believe I've got at least 6 lessons, which would at least be a start. Of course, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself (Ela, get ahead of herself? No, never!!) given that I've never even met these women yet. But we've tentatively set a date for a first meeting, I've arranged a great place for lessons (thanks to being part of a very generous congregation of believers!), and I've got some good ideas for where to start. So now I'm praying that it all comes together!!

After returning all my calls, I crawled into my freshly made bed (is there a better feeling??) and slept for 3 hours. I REALLY didn't want to get up, but figured I'd better. ;) So I crawled out of bed, and made biscuits for dinner. My grandma Huebert used to make biscuits when there wasn't much else to make, and then my dad used to make them Sundays after church. They're total comfort food for me, and I hadn't made them in well over a year. So delicious! Eaten fresh from the oven with butter and jam? Wonderful. Add a mug of tea and a glass of milk, and I was set. Mine were especially special because I cut them with a cookie cutter, so they were heart shaped. Sweet, I know. :)

Meg's coming over in a bit, and we're going to watch a movie and commiserate over how we did no schoolwork today. Love it! Tomorrow we're going to Chris' tea party, which is very exciting. Then it's family dinner! Sunday is church and skating, and then I will have to finally do some homework. I need to be particularly prepared for my speech-science lab this week; it's the resonance lab, which is one aspect of my thesis, so I want to make sure I really get it. :)

Ok, I'm off! Hope you're all well!!!

Love,
E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home