That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Wherein Elizabeth is thankful

Although she'd be even MORE thankful if she didn't feel as though she were going to have to wear sweatpants for the next week after all the food she's eaten this weekend!! :D But seriously folks: I'm a thankful girl.

As evidenced by my lack of posts, this last week has been a CRAZY one. Crazy. I'll go through it day by day - so if you're bored by that sort of thing, you should consider this your cue to move along. ;)

Sunday


On Sunday, I didn't sleep in. Nope, I got up, and went to church with Megan (she came with me to Knox) and then we went to her house. Her very nice family brought us Burger Baron burgers, which were awesome. Then we went skating out at her local rink, which was fun. There was hardly anybody there, so we had lots of space. She did twirly things. I went forward, and occasionally, just for the heck of it, tried to stop. I'm practicing.

Monday

Monday, Monday *da da, da da da da* (Hello Mommas and the Poppas! Did I spell that right?) I actually have no idea what I did Monday. Probably not much. *think think think* Nope, I'm pretty sure that it was a class and home day.

Tuesday

Tuesday night is skating night! After a short day of classes (Tuesdays rock!), I headed home, ate some dinner, and headed for my local. (In Prague my local was a pub. Here it's a rink. I think that says something about Czech and Canadian attitudes!). Anyhoo, I went to my local, and skated for my hour, and practiced my stopping. John, whom I affectionately refer to as my stopping coach (he's a very nice man who skates at my local, and was very nice to me when I button-holed him and asked him to "show me how to do that thing you do." "Stop?" he asked. "Yeah," I replied "that thing.") told me that I really need to just get mad at the ice. I figure I'll get mad at the ice once I've got some padding on.

Wednesday

Wednesday I trundled home from school, ate some dinner, and then got all dolled up. Chris took me to the symphony, and it was wonderful!! It's a weekday classics series, so as Megan says, they sure didn't make any adventurous musical choices. The oboist (spelling??) was fabuolous, and the guest violinist was phenomenal. I was very tired (because I'm that way a lot these days), so I had to work hard to stay awake. I was warm, and it was soothing (really soothing, not Inspector Clouseau soothing), and I may have head-bobbed once or twice. After that, I started watching the audience. They were REALLY headbobbing! It was fun. I even ran into a couple of Knox people, so I got to chat with them at intermission

Thursday

Megan and I went to an IVCF (inter-varsity Christian fellowship) dealy on campus. I saw people I know from undergrad there, which was cool. It had been a really tense day in class (hearing science and audiology was bizarre - I thought there was going to be a scrap!!), and I wasn't really vibing being all into it, but God got to me in the end (funny how he does that), and a) showed me how a seed I hadn't even know I'd sown is coming to fruition, and b) gave me a picture to really hang onto. I don't want to go more into it here, but if you're interested, give me a call and I'll tell you more. :)

Friday

We cadaver'd in the morning (the dead guys almost outnumbered us live ones!) and that was cool. We studied the thorax and the abdomen, and it was very neato. I'd tell you more, but my stories are way grosser, I mean more effective in person. :) So again with the calling me if you want to more about how big the liver really is, and how I was craving Tony Roma's by the time we were done. *lol* I'm a nutter, I know.

Meg and I went skating after that, at the U, which was good, except that her bag got lifted, whether accidentally or intentionally. :( Hopefully she gets at least some of it back - she filed a police report and all that fun stuff. Word of warning: Your stuff is NOT SAFE in the player's box on the ice. It just isn't! Lock it in the general changeroom, or skate with it on! (Now there's a mental image.)

Then it was home to the Wonk! Dad took me to my favorite restaurant for dinner, and then we went home and played crib. So fun!

Saturday

Saturday dad and I just lazed around. He cooked me my favorite meals all days, and bought me my hockey equipment that I needed (pink hockey tape, pink!). Actually - he basically spoilt me rotten all weekend. It was great. :) We played crib and watched TV, and went to a movie (The Departed - graphic, but good). And we ate. And ate. And ate.

Sunday

Mum, Dad and I ate. And ate. And ate. Dad bought me some shirts, and got my skates sharpened (it might help with the stopping...), and we ate some more. We played crib. I baked gingerbread cookies. We went to an Iceman game - it was great. The best bit was when our goalie clocked one of the other guys right in the face with his blocker. Sweet. Maybe I can be our team's muscle??

Monday

Mum, dad and I ate. And then mum and I drove into Edmonton to eat some more with her family, which was wicked, because there were a couple aunts and uncles I haven't seen in over a year. So that was mint. I don't think I need to eat for a few days now. Maybe I could hibernate?? No, wait - I've got class, and midterms start next week. Darn.


So that was my week. It's been wonderful having some time off, and getting back to school tomorrow is going to be a bit tough. :) My first hockey game's on Sunday, so I'm lookingforwardto/dreading it. Hopefully I don't make a total 'tard of myself. I also need to talk to my thesis supervisor(s) about some feedback I've gotten from a few professionals I've been in touch with. This whole thing is going to be harder than I thought. Typical!! :D

And now, it's bedtime. I'm wiped! Happy thanksgiving!

Love,
Ela

2 Comments:

  • At 10:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Although I would normally never challenge your English, because I'm sure to be wrong, are you sure 'spoilt' was the right word to use there? I know it is a word, but isn't it 'spoiled'.

    Random morning thoughts

     
  • At 10:36 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Actually, 'spoilt' is just an older, nigh unto archaic form. You can also use 'smelt' for smelled, 'knelt' for kneeled, etc.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home