That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Essence of a Sound

Ahoj!

Today was a very special day. One of my thesis peeps had her lab gifted with $135 000 from the Edmonton Oilers' Community Foundation, the single largest donation that the Faculty of Rehab Med has ever received. Dr. B has 14 of us grad students (she's a VERY busy lady!!), and we all showed up to support her. :) The money is going to be used for research on the effects of intensive voice therapy for children with cerebral palsy, and little boy with CP was there. So was ALL of Edmonton's media - so check the news tonight, or the papers tomorrow. I doubt I'm in any of the pictures, but that's my lab!! I also met Ethan Moreau (and got his autograph *grin*), and Kevin Lowe touched me on the shoulder and said "excuse me." Oh the excitement. ;)

The best bit was afterwards, when Dr B. pulled all of her students back into the lab (after everyone had left) and thanked us for supporting her. She pointed to the little boy with CP who was out in the hallway, and said "when you hate your exams, when you hate me, when you hate that you have to write another draft - remember this. Remember him. Remember that your research will change his life. No matter what population you work with, remember this." And then she got a little teary-eyed, and so did most of us students as well, and then we hugged. It was amazing.

And remember my blurb? http://www.rehabmed.ualberta.ca/carolboliek/gradstudents.htm I'm on there!! It's very exciting. I have a blurb.

Other exciting things? I have a new English student who wants 4hrs of lessons a week. This is great! I think it's just about the right amount of time for me, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also duly nervous, since - hello! - it's 4 hrs a week. I need to do some serious lesson planning sometime soon, and as finals will soon be upon me, it'd better be sooner rather than later. I'm still excited, despite the fear, since this is a real answer to prayer.

Oh, and the blog title? Dr. P used to work with a professor who loved to talk about the "essence of a sound." You know, a /k/ has "k-ness," an /l/ has "l-ness," and a /p/ has... well, sound it out. ;) (If you don't get it, email me.)

Love,
ela

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home