That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

La Vie en Rose

And so the heat continues here in CR - it's a balmy 30-something degrees out today, but (woot, holler) I'm not working. So yay!

Work at the Sportsplex is great. As I've mentioned previously, I've become Little Ms. Rec Coordinator by default, and as such, I get to work with all the 9-11 y/o boys. Things they like to do: watch TV, play video/computer games, ride their bikes, roughhouse. Number of those things available/allowed at Kids' Klub (I hate the 2nd 'k'!): 0. So any ideas of games and such that these guys could play that might interest them? I only a 30-45 min. activity for each day, so nothing too crazy!

Work at the Pier is work, and it's been tense because it's been so hot. Inside the hut is hovering at 35*, the ice creams are all melting, tempers are short, and we keep running low on waffle cones because it's too damn hot to make more. Let's just not talk about it anymore, mmmK?

Michael and Amy and I went to Brewster Lake today, and it was gorgeous. We were the only people in our area, so Jasper could run around unleashed, and I could swim and sunbathe to my heart's content. Having a new swimsuit only made things better! (My old ones either a) were falling apart, or b) were too big. Go me!) M and I are now BBQing steaks, and getting ready to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I do love Monty Python!

Amy has officially uttered the best burn of the season. We were sitting around eating lunch on the patio out at Painters' Lodge, and I mentioned wanting to hear from a dentistry student that I'd started a correspondence with.

"Oh, Elizabeth," she said comfortingly "he's got other teeth to clean." *snap!*

She's been apologizing ever since, as it did come out in a somewhat 'harsh' tone... but it's just too funny to have taken any offense at. Brilliant!

I went to my step class yesterday, and managed to keep it all together. Then today I went to 'sculpt and tone,' where I was reminded once again of how tight my hamstrings really are. That whole sitting on your butt on the floor, with your legs out in front of you? I can't do that! At least, I can't do that and sit up straight. I get all hunchy and Quasimodo. And I may have played him once (and lit my costume on fire in the process), but I don't want to be 'le sonneur des cloches de Notre Dame' forever! :D Must. Stretch. Hams.

Next weekend is mini-golfing, and the weekend after that is kayaking. We're hoping to fit in some horseback riding, too, which should be super cool! I think this is my best summer ever!

Loves you all,
Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 2:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are a few games here you might find something useful

    David

    http://www.partydirectory.com/games/index.html

     
  • At 3:44 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Actually, keep in mind the possibility that you may never be able to stretch them fully. Many people have shortened hamstrings (like me!) and will never be able to touch their toes and things. Even when I was doing 6 or more hours of ballet a week I was never able to touch my toes!

    Oh well, I'm flexible the other way, very bendy back and double jointed elbows!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home