That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Interview

Hi all!

Guess who has a job interview on Friday? Ok, Ok, so that was an easy question. Of course it's me. At 08.30 Edmonton time I'm going to be interviewing for the position of Project Officer with the Canadian Petroleum Institute. The position is split between Edmonton and Calgary (but mostly Edmonton, I think), so this could change my summer plans substantially.

When I applied for the position back in January (January 28, according to my cover letter), I wasn't certain that I'd be contacted for an interview, since it would require an overseas phone call, and many places aren't comfortable hiring someone that they haven't met in person. However, I received an email yesterday morning indicating the company's interest in interviewing me! The job sounds intense, but right up my alley. Dealing with international clientele (I have experience in that! Yeah, me! I work with international clientele every day! My friends are international! *lol*), and being super organized. Oh yeah baby, that's got Elizabeth written all over it.

I've been doing some research into the company and what its goals and such are. One thing that I've noticed repeatedly is that, at its international conference, the Czech Republic sends delegates. I speak a bit of Czech, and am used to working with Czech people, so maybe that'll be helpful.

I'm torn about getting my hopes up. On the one hand, it seems like a pretty good job, right up my alley, and it likely pays quite well (bonus for grad school!!). On the other hand - I really want to go to Campbell River this summer! Oh dear. Guess I'll just pray about it, do my best, and leave it up to God and the CPI. After all, it's not as if they've offered me the job yet! I haven't even interviewed! :) Ah Elizabeth - always getting ahead of herself.

I've copied the job desciption below, so you can read it if you like.

Hope you all are well!

Love,
Elizabeth

**********************************************************************************
CAREER AND PLACEMENT SERVICES (CaPS) JOB BANK INFO AS OF
**********************************************************************************
Mar 07, 2006
Faculty of Arts
School of Business
General (All Faculties)

TARGET:
Job Responsibilities: Project Officers are required to assist the Canadian Petroleum Institute management team in the organization, administration and facilitation of its annual international Executive Program scheduled to take place from July 3rd to 28th, 2006. The Executive Program supplies participants with the latest tools and resources for managing petroleum activities. Evening and weekend work is a requirement of this position. Immediately before, and during the four-week Executive Program, Project Officers can expect to work considerably long hours. Project Officers will work both independently and as part of a project team to meet necessary program deadlines and goals. Therefore a high degree of project team experience is a primary requirement.

Specifically, Project Officers will:
- Support the delivery and presentation of advanced course material in Petroleum Management training by assisting in the coordination of instructor participation and the technical and extra-curricular schedules;
- Organize, transport and accompany participants on-site visits to businesses and service and supply companies operating in the Alberta oil and gas sector;
- Coordinate and facilitate the daily schedule of the four-week Executive Program both in Edmonton and Calgary;
- Assist in the planning, coordination and facilitation of other training programs as required.

Qualifications: Applicants must have a valid Class 5 Motor Vehicle Operator's License. Applicants should have most or all of the following expertise: teamwork experience, experience working with international clientele, ability to work to deadlines, computer skills, balance priorities and pursue multiple project timelines in a high paced environment. This is a highly time intensive program which requires a very high level of professional and personal commitment over a 15 week period.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck on your interview. It sounds like something you'd be great at. Way to go scoring an overseas interview! Impressive.

     
  • At 5:51 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Thanks Kim! I was quite impressed myself. I hope it goes alright. I'm feeling a wee bit nervous.

    Thanks David - It'll be at 16.30 our time, so you could think of me then if you liked.

     
  • At 7:15 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    I hope you get the job! Looks like it would be good for you. I forget, is Class 5 a regular license (ie what we call a "G" in Ontario?). If I earn much moolah this summer and you'll be in Edmonton I just might be able to fly up this summer and visit for a while. I'll have to crash with you though ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home