That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Happy, happy birthday...

It’s official – I’m 22 ½ now. I’d like thank those of you that have made it possible for me to come this far – mum, thanks for giving birth to me. You really got the ball rolling. Dad, thanks for that extra X chromosome; I do love being a girl. Michael and Kathie, thanks for torturing me through my childhood (Hey, let’s pin Elizabeth down and stuff dad’s sock in her mouth! That’ll be funny!) And all the rest of you, who are too numerous to name, you rock, too. After all, you’ve gotten me to this major step in my life – and we all know how important the 22 ½ birthday is in today’s culture. ;) /

So now that I’m done being a retard, I’ll tell you all about my “celebration” yesterday. A group of us met up for dinner at the “Dirty Café” (it’s got naughty cartoons painted on the walls – but the goulash is phenomenal, so we just try to keep our eyes on our plates!), where we met Rob’s friend Ron, who is living in Estonia. He’s a pretty cool guy, so the group of us had an enjoyable dinner. Note to future visitors: “pork leg” is someone’s idea of a joke. Courtney and I both ordered it, and it turned out to be sausage…. J After dinner, we headed over to the Konvikt, where the usual crowd was gathering for pub night. We hung out there for quite a bit, chatting and drinking beer. I met a few new people, which is always excellent, and succeeded in getting the incredibly surly bartender to smile at me. wOOt! ;)

We then proceeded to Nebe, an ex-pat dance club that’s in an underground cellar/tunnel/cave-thingy. They play a lot of indie music (read: I didn’t hear one song that I actually knew!), and it’s pretty danceable, so Tiffany, Lucy and I burned up the dance floor for a few hours. At about 1:45, I was wiped, so I headed for home, stopping for the ever-important gyros on my way. I got home shortly after 2, and crawled into bed. It was such a great night!

Reading back over this entry, it doesn’t really sound as though anything too exciting happened. And that’s right, nothing too exciting DID happen. But my friends here are so awesome that just hanging out for the evening was enough to make this my best birthday yet. It would only have been better if Hils and I had been able to go for some free birthday breakfasts at Denny’s (for those of you not in the know – Lar and I share a bday!).

Hope you all have a great weekend. I’m meeting Elly and Liana today at 3, and we’re going to spend the weekend together. Rock on!

Love,

Elizabeth

4 Comments:

  • At 12:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't realize it but Tabitha and I have to share your day. Today is our 3 1/2 year anniversary. We too chose to celebrate on a different night since tonight is youth group and somehow that just doesn't give us that old romantic feeling.
    So we watched 'The Revenge of the Pink Panther', ate pizza, and read an antique book on Wednesday. Slightly quieter than your night, but we enjoyed it. Happy 1/2 B-day!

     
  • At 12:19 p.m., Blogger Bari said…

    Hey Elizabeth!!
    This comment is actually more applicable to your other two recent posts, but I was in Dresden until a couple of hours ago and didn't check any blogs at all.

    I am so glad you enjoyed your weekend here! I loved having you, and I agree that it was way too short! And what a compliment it is that in the meme you said that here with me is one of 4 places you'd rather be!

    You were also very close with "kay-za-shpay-tzuh;" I would transcribe it as "kay-zuh-shpaytz-luh." There's that "L" in there that's kind of hard to hear. And I'm glad you like my cooking! I owe it all to my folks. I hope Olivier reads this; I think he thinks I can't cook just because I always make him make ME dinner. Hey, you didn't mention eating nachos with gravy... that was sure a flavour experience!! Oh, and I'm sorry I didn't return your text about coming to Prague on Wednesday or Thursday. We decided that I was in Dresden to see Dresden, and we just hung around that city for a while.

    Well, I'm off, I have more drinking to do! Man I love the beer here...

     
  • At 7:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're such a party girl now, Elizabeth.

    My word verification for today is: nkdungnw.

     
  • At 12:13 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    I wouldn't say that I'm a party girl... I just have a social life now! Something that I didn't have very much of back in Edmonton.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home