That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Mǖnchen

Hi everyone! Long time, no post, I know, I know. Life's been busy!

Last week was cool. I think I last posted on Tuesday.... Wednesday was classes (3 out of 4, wow!), and then I met up with friends for dinner. Lucy loaned me her teeny sleeping bag to take to Munich with me, and it actually fit inside my shoulder bag. Crazy! It's the cutest thing ever, though I confess I was worried about whether or not I'd be warm enough. Thursday I taught my classes, went out for dinner, and wound up at pub night, which I hadn't really been planning on. There were a couple of Scots there who joined our group, and who were absolutely insane. We had a great time! They got me saying "aye" and I got them saying "eh" and everyone generally had the giggles and enjoyed themselves immensely.

Friday I taught my first class (second one cancelled, darn!), and then hustled to Hlavni Nadrazi (the train station). I caught my train to Munich, and was on my way! I like train journeys. I read or sleep or listen to music. This one was good til the transfer at Furth i Wald, where too many people got on the train. I had a seat, but there were no extras, and a woman with a baby and a toddler got on, and was standing in the hall, as there were no rooms in the inn (sorry, wrong story). I gave her my seat, because I felt bad as I watched her trying to hang onto the toddler, and keep an eye on the baby, but that meant that I had to stand in the hall! For over an hour, a whole schwack-load of us were crammed into this narrow corridor, and people kept shoving through trying to find seats (you know we're all standing here because we just didn't feel like sitting today... of course there are seats in this car!!). It's a good thing we got to Munich when we did, because I was suffering some serious train rage after having been slammed into the window 62 times!

Bari met me at the station, and it turns out my train was late (oops - downside to not speaking the language that the announcements are in). But she didn't seem too angry, and didn't remove any limbs for me. :) She promptly took me back to her flat, which is sooo cute. Her bathroom looks like a space pod... I thought I was going to take off when I flushed the toilet. :)

She fed me yummy supper, something that sounds like "kay-za-shpay-tzuh" but tastes like heaven. Then we went to a wine and cheese party that her friend hosted, where we laughed and ate delicious food and laughed some more. We headed back to Bari's, where we played 4-hand crib with some of her friends til about 4 in the morning. Phew! The sleeping bag ended up being totally toasty, and I slept like the dead - amazing!

Saturday we wandered around Munich, looking at the buildings and Bari filled me in with lots of history and stories. Her university is beautiful - You can't even start to compare it with the UofA!! We rubbed the lion's noses and made wishes (they're little statue/plaques on a wall), which I thoroughly enjoyed as well. I like wishing. :) I still wish on my mandarin orange peels, if they come off all in one piece. We spent the afternoon making me a CD (Bari has good music. Goooood music), and chatting like only girls can. We had spaghetti for dinner (damn, but that girl can cook, given that she's got a mini fridge and 2 burners to work with, and that's it!), and then went to a little pub to watch some Olympics and play crib.

Sunday, we got up lateish and went for lunch at the Hofbräuhaus - Munich's most famous beer hall. Here, I attempted (and failed) to drink a stein of dark beer. Too much beer at lunchtime... but they don't sell it by the pint! :) Bari took a picture of me (see below), and I took one of her, but I haven't loaded my pics onto the 'puter yet, so y'all have to wait a bit. Sorry!

We spent the afternoon at the old Pinakothek (art gallery) which was INCREDIBLE. I saw Rubens, da Vinci, Boticelli, Cranach... and a Hobbema! That's right - the reserve is named after a 17 C. Dutch artist. And I saw one of his paintings! It was phenomenal.

Bari got me to my train and time, and we said goodbye. *sniff* I wasn't ready to leave! Thank you, Bari, for such an incredible weekend! Man, an awesome weekend in Salzburg, and and inredible one in Munich... I'm getting so excited for Budapest in March!! :D

Now I'm back to the grind, working for the man. However, tomorrow is my half-birthday, and I do believe that the celebrating will be rather exciting and fun!! I'll try and remember to post about it.

Love,

Elizabeth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home