That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, February 20, 2006

My Weekend - A Written Composition by Elizabeth Huebert

Happy Monday morning! Hope all of you had as good a weekend as I did!

After crawling out of bed (again… I needed a nap on Friday before I could really get going. It was one heck of a ½ birthday!), I met Chris for a walk after lunch. We wandered around the Old Town Square (which I think is my favorite part of Prague), and then headed back up to Wenceslas Square where I met Elly and Liana. They got a bit mixed up with the train, and had ended up getting off at the stop that is NOT in the centre! We headed back there, and picked up their luggage. We then spent a bit of time at the flat, just chatting and relaxing. I took them on a quick tour of Old Town Square (I think… I can’t quite remember. I know there was walking, but I think we were more focused on chattering than on where we were going!!). We went for dinner at Ade and Courtney’s, which was awesome. They made a sort of chicken curry/fajita deal that was spicy and delicious. We sat around and gabbed, and then headed home for bed.

Saturday we went down to the potraviny and picked up breakfast supplies. We had a lazy morning getting ready, and then went out on the tour. I took them to the disintegrating man (a series of statues commemorating the victims of communism), and then we rode the funicular up Petrin hill. We wandered down the hill, looking for the view I promised Liana (things really do just up and disappear in this city….) I managed to find it eventually, and we took some lovely photos. Then it was down the rest of the hill, and across the Charles’ Bridge to look at the view and the souvenirs. We went for lunch at the soup place, and they were confused because there are only 2 soups there. Well, it isn’t “the soup place” in general, as in “a place of many soups,” but “the soup place,” as in “a place of one particularly excellent soup”! I guess I should have made that clear a little earlier on! We spent the afternoon shopping (ah, new clothes) and wandering, and then met up with Tiffany and Chris for dinner at the dirty place. Which, once again, is not physically dirty, but rather has naughty cartoons on the walls, and the best goulash I’ve had yet. We then went back across the Charles’ Bridge to see the night view (gorgeous!!) and had coffee in my favorite little café (smoke free!). It was a great night.

Sunday we had a lazy morning (I like lazy mornings!!), and then went shopping again, just for a bit. Liana had some money she needed to spend (I wish I could say the same!), and I wanted to find a shirt to go with the new skirt I bought on Saturday. Then we went into Old Town Square to watch the clock strike (“Wow,” said Liana. “It’s as unimpressive as you said it would be…”) The clock IS cool… but the actual chiming of the hour is somewhat… anti-climactic. Like Christmas! ;) We wandered around Old Town, and then picked up munchies for their train ride home. Then I took them to Hlavni Nadrazi, and said goodbye. L It was too short a visit, and I’m sad that they’re gone.

After they were safely at the train station, I met Tiffany and we went to a late church service at a church I hadn’t been to before. It’s very near my flat, and I enjoyed it. Should I ever have some free time Sunday at 4:30, I’ll be going back! J Then it was off to the movies, where I met Chris to see Memoirs of a Geisha. I loved it. He thought it was Ok. I’m a girl, what more can I say? I thought it was a beautiful movie, and I want the DVD already!

Today I got up (it was hard… the movie went a bit late last night), and wandered off to teach my first class. Now I have a bit of a break, and I’m going to plan a couple lessons, and try to write a letter to Grandma. Then it’s off to teach two more classes. It looks like my schedule should be a bit fuller now, which is good, because I was starting to worry. Ooh, and we bought our tickets to Budapest this weekend, too, so I can start getting excited about that. Tiffany and I also bought tickets for Swan Lake which is coming in April. Fantastic! It’s getting to be time for me to start looking into tickets for Italy, too… so much to do, so little time!

I realized that I never publicly announced what happened with my decision about when to come home, so maybe I’ll do that now. I’m returning to Edmonton on April 27 at 10:30 PM. I’m going to spend a week or so in the Wetaskiwin/Edmonton area, and then the (tentative) plan is that I’m going to fly out to BC and spend my summer working in Campbell River, living with my brother and his wife. Then, come September, I’ll be (contingent on being accepted) going to grad school in either Edmonton or Halifax. Truth be told, my heart is starting to settle on Halifax, so I’m praying that the scholarship money might come through so that I would be able to do that.

So that’s the news! Hope you’re all doing well, and that spring is creeping into your cities, too. It was +5* this weekend here!

Love you,

Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 8:52 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I GOT HOME!!
    I've been up for almost 24 hours now, but I thought I'd let you know I got here...
    Liana

     

Post a Comment

<< Home