That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Not a lot to say

Good morning, all! I'm trying hard to keep up with the posting, but it's difficult! Not much has happened this week.

Monday: Taught my classes. One of them is officially cancelled, like permanently, so now I'm trying to find a replacement for it. Then, in the evening, I had dinner with Courtney and Lucy, where we filled each other in on our weekends. It was a typical girls' dinner, chatter chatter chatter!!

Tuesday: Taught my classes. I showed up for one of them, and the student wasn't there. Unfortunately, I couldn't confirm this until I'd been standing outside for about 15 minutes. It's been hovering around -18 these days, and so I was freezing and cranky! I know, I know - it's not that cold. But it sure felt cold!! Then I met up with Tiffany for coffee. Her brother arrived last night to visit her, which is cool. I hope they have a good time together.

Also on Tuesday: did battle with another round of homesickness.... Well, it's not really homesickness, it's this feeling that I don't fit in here, that I'm really out of place. Then I get frustrated with feeling that way, because I'm trying SO HARD to be a content and peaceful girl here, and yet I keep on feeling the the square peg in the proverbial round hole. God and I did a lot of talking yesterday, but I don't feel like we really got anywhere. Please pray that he will get me through this, and that I will learn the lessons that he wants me to. Right now, I don't even understand what those are!

Today: I got to sleep in, since both my morning classes cancelled. I read in bed for a while, got up, cleaned the bathroom(s) (both the WC, and the room with the tub and sink), and vacuumed the floors. Then I took a shower. Now, I'm going to get dressed, eat some breakfast, and probably read some more. After lunch, I'm going to the library to work on some paperwork for Skrivanek, and then I'll teach my afternoon classes. Tonight I'm hopefully meeting up with a friend from church, Granville, who's been gone over Christmas. Should be good!

Love you all!

Elizabeth

4 Comments:

  • At 3:20 a.m., Blogger Bari said…

    You know what I miss? Boston Pizza. And The Keg, actually. For some reason, I really only miss food at home. People from home I can talk to and email, so I don't really miss people that much, but food...

    I know what you mean about the round hole/square peg thing, though. I don't really fit in here, I find. Maybe I have a leg up on you because I at least mostly speak the language, but I walk around and talk to people and go to my classes and go shopping and on and on and on, and I constantly have this underlying feeling that I'm not home. I don't really think this is such a bad thing. I like Canada, and when my year here is done, I will move back there - knowing that that's where I belong.

    I am a little concerned, though, that I'll go back and it won't feel like home, either. But I'll deal with that when it comes up.

    "LA's fine, but it ain't home,
    New York's home, but it ain't mine no more..."
    -Neil Diamond

     
  • At 7:49 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Maybe try making a list of all the things you miss - then a list of both all the things you like, and all the new (good and bad) experiences and such you've been able to have because you moved. I know homesickness can be awful (having lived away from home for a long time, though not in another country) but you've just got to think of everything that is being opened to you because you chose to do this. It's not for that much longer. Besides, just think how many of your readers would KILL to be in your position :)

    PS - Actually, to most Canadians right now, -18 is *@&$ing cold. The temperature across most of Canada is no cooler than about -10. Scary huh?

     
  • At 10:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    -18 is cold!! I was in Vancouver yesterday and it was around +10, and I thought it was beautiful. I saw a bunch of the locals with toques and mittens as well as their winter jackets. When you are feeling down, just remember this: God will never give you anything that you cannot handle.

     
  • At 11:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish it were -18. It was +10 yesterday here in Edmonton and it's looking like I'll have to change our youth night for the 2nd time in two months cuz it just isn't cold (we're supposed to go skating)!

    Acts 17:26&27 says that God has set us in a particular place and time so that we would seek him out. Do it, and enjoy it. Rediscover the wonder of being away from home. It may not take away the disjointed-out-of-place feelings, but maybe it's not supposed to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home