That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Happy Boxing Day!

Good morning all! I hope you all had very merry Christmases - I know I did.

I got up on the morning of the 22 and got the last of my stuff together, and staggered to the airport. I was extremely tired, owing to the fact that the night before I didn't get home until late-ish, as some friends talked me into going out for a drink with them.

While we were sitting in this small club, Jon and I were debating what a sign on the wall meant, and I said 'well, it's vaguely reminiscent of this t-shirt...' and this drunk American comes STORMING up to our table, practically yelling 'did you say vaguely reminiscent? did YOU say vaguely reminiscent? did you SAY vaguely reminiscent?' and then starts going totally crazy about what kind of crazy kids use words with more than one syllable while out at the bar. He was nuts. He also was persistent. We couldn't get him to go away! He kept sticking around telling us the stupidest lies (I'm going to buy 70 dogs tomorrow!), and generally being a pain. When we got up to leave, he waved his business card at us three girls, wanting to know which of us was the 'most eligible bachelorette.' Well, let's just say that the three of us immediately remembered our serious, long distance relationships, and boogied for the door. What a weirdo!

Anyhoo. I got to the airport, highly uneventful flight (yay!), landed at Gatwick, and there was Lucy! Yay! She got us day long passes for the underground, and we headed off. She showed me Covent Garden, which was lovely, and Camden Town, which is full of alternative kids and Strange Emily and such, and which was very cool. We had dinner at a cute little pub, and headed over to the Isle of Wight. We got in, and I pretty much passed out - travelling makes me tired!

On the 23rd, her dad took us around the island. We took a couple of different walks, and it was amazing. The land is hilly with trees and grass and little woods, but you are right by the sea, too. It was absolutely beautiful, and I kept wishing Grandpa could be with me, because he would have loved the walks. Lucy's brother and his girlfriend were home for Christmas as well (absolutely lovely people) so it was really nice to wander around looking at amazing scenery and chatting.

On the 24th we did some last minute shopping and errand running, and cooked dinner together. In the evening, I went with one of Lucy's friend's mums to the midnight mass at a Church of England. I've never been to anything quite so formal before, but it was cool. The only bit I didn't like was the incense - hello asthma! They even sang their prayers, which was neat to hear.

We got up at about nine on Christmas morning, and opened all our presents. A few people on the island were worried about me not having anything to open, so they bought me gifts. I had a ton of presents to open! It was great. I got clothes and wine and a DVD about the Isle, and one of Lucy's photographs beautifully framed. Amazing!

Throughout all of this time, I also met a bunch of Lucy's friends, and they're such great people. Her friends are interesting AND nice, and made me feel right at home. I'm quite looking forward to seeing more of them this week.

Well, that's enough for now. Not sure when I'll post again, but I hope you all enjoy your holidays.

Love,
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home