That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Da da da da da da, da da da da da da...

Monday Monday (da da da da da da) so good to me (da da da da da da da)
Monday morning, it was all I hoped it would be ...


Hi all. As you can tell, it's been a good day! One of my classes ended early, so I had time to come home and munch lunch, which always makes me happy. Plus, I tried a new kind of Balkan cheese today, and it was even better than my usual brand! Hurrah for small happinesses.

My student this morning (whom I absolutely love, she's wonderful) brought me these amazing little gingerbread cookies that she'd baked and decorated. They were delicious! What a great (and stereotypically Scott) way to start the morning. Mmm cookies. I can't wait to do some baking at Lucy's house this Christmas.

My next student was a new one, and she's fabulous, too. She works for Tescos, and her job is determining where everything goes in every store. All the Tescos with the same floor plan have their merchandise in identical places, and it's her job to figure out what goes where. Cool! She was also telling me about her grandmother, who lived in the same house, in the same location, all her life. However, her country changed 6 times!! Ican't remember the exact order, but it was something like "Czechoslovakia, Austria, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Czech Republic." Crazy!!

The afternoon was quieter with my boys, who worked quite hard today, and then the evening was very quiet with public class, as only 2 students showed up. We did a fair bit of grammar, but they were troopers, and I think they may actually understand the 3rd conditional now (good thing - maybe now they can explain it to me... kidding, kidding).

Today is the Eve of the Feast of Saint Nicholas, so there were all kinds of angels, devils, and St. Nicholases running around, along with lots of people collecting money for needy children. Traditionally, adults would dress up and go door to door, asking for the children. They would then quiz the kids on their catechism. Correct answers got sweets or small gifts from St. Nick, but wrong answers brought coal/punishment/being kidnapped from the devil. The angel was there to protect the children from the devil. How neat! Now, it's mostly a day where parents give small gifts to their children (or your student brings you cookies!!). The weirdest part was when I saw a St. Nick on a tram playing the accordion while his angel kissed a random passer-by. Ah, the things you see in Prague on a Monday night. This is truly a place like no other.

And as it is a place like no other, I came to realize this weekend that I don't want to leave early. I want to stay til the end of June. And so, I'm praying that I will indeed find summer work by Jan. 15. I so hope that I can finish out the school year here.

And now it's bed time, as it's a busy day tomorrow. Only 3 classes, as one was cancelled (early, darn it, so I don't get paid!)

Love you all,

Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 12:12 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, is this like a make-up for the lack of Halloween festivities?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home