That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ah, Tuesday

I will commence by stating that Czech Tuesdays are MUCH better than Czech Mondays. Things went generally according to plan today.

I got up at 6, and got ready to leave for a new class. It's about 45 minutes of travel time, which is a bummer, but the scenery on the bus ride is amazing. I may have to go all tourist and snap photos out of the bus window!! This time, I actually COULD see the company from the bus stop... the bus stop is named after it!! I was a bit wary; the sign over the door said the right name, but the 'O' was a clown face wearing a hat... what kind of major VIP company is this?

Turns out they're the largest toy distributor in Eastern Europe. Huh. Who'd a thunk? Everyone in my class (including one woman in management) is quite young (30 or younger) and was wearing blue jeans. I love the relaxed environment!! The class is quite large (today I had 6 students), so I was able to get some pair work going, which was great. I really enjoyed teaching them, and I'm looking forward to having their class every Tuesday morning.

On the bus ride back, I got a text message (Grandma and Grandpa, this is when your cell phone shows you a message that someone typed to you. It's kind of like emails for cell phones). It said "Elizabeth, the company just called and said you didn't show up. What happened?" I just about freaked out! Yes, I KNOW I had some trouble finding yesterday's Autosalon, but I was on my game today! I was there early! I taught 6 people for 90 minutes! I was frantically texting her back when my phone beeped again and "oops! Sorry, there was a misunderstanding." *phew* I was really panicked for a minute!

This evening I taught a class back at Oxford TEFL (where I took my certification). It's a lower level class, so it took me a few minutes to get back into my graded voice (where I basically talk less, and give more directions like "read this" as opposed "ok, now look here... and we're going to read this so that we can discuss it...") but it went well. We talked about traveling, which is always a fun topic. And the students are quite competent, but tend to underestimate their abilities, so I had to really push them to get them to use what they knew!

Tomorrow is a very busy day for me. I have 4 classes: 2 new, and 2 old. The new ones don't take too much preparation, but the old ones require a bit more work. Also, two of them are way far away, so I'll be stuck out in Prague 6 for a couple of hours. My plan? To do some lesson planning there, so I don't have to do all of it tonight. ;) I also need to get to one of the school's to make some photocopies. Craaaaaaaazy! But I can plan for two lessons tonight, and plan the other two tomorrow on my break, and all should be well. Please pray that I get more organized as I get used to this schedule. I'm having a hard time this week because there are so many new things going on all at once.

I'm coping well, and today was indeed a good day, but I'm also feeling a bit stressed and homesick again. Any emails or snailmails or anything would be so greatly appreciated. I try to focus on just the next hour, or just today, but sometimes I think about being here for 9 more months... and I panic. So send me your good vibes, please!!

I love you all,

Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 5:48 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    To quote Hitchiker's - DON'T PANIC!

    Everything will turn out all right! After all, you even got yourself through the hideousness of that Monday.

    I have plans in the works for making something awesomely nice for you and sending it in the mail...can I get your mailing address? I can't promise anything super-soon, but I will send something!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home