That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

I love coffee, I love tea...

The waiter ticked me off, and now he hates me.

Ah, well, hate might be too strong of a word, but it's fairly close! You see, we met up last night to go out for dinner to say goodbye to my most darling Lucy, who is headed to Spain for a month or so. We met up in a beer hall where we eat dinner fairly frequently, and several others had already arrived and ordered their pivos (beer). Since I've still got a bit of a cough, I ordered a tea. The waiter looked me straight in the eye, smiled, and said "pivo!" I looked right back, and said "tea!"
Pivo!
Tea!
Pivo!
Tea!
Pivo!
TEA!
He left, and came back 32 seconds later... with a beer! He plunks it down in front of me, adds another beer to the bill and turns to leave our table. I said "I want tea, NOT beer." He says "pivo!" I say "I WANT TEA." He says "pivo!" I whack the table emphatically and say in my best my-grandfather-has-a-baseball-bat-for-kneecaps-like-yours-and-I'm-not-afraid-to-use-it voice "I WANT TEA."

Well! He grabs the beer, grumpily scribbles it off the bill, and storms off. He returns ages later, slams my tea onto the table in front of me, slopping water everywhere, and storms off again. After that, no one at our table could get any decent service! They practically had to buttonhole the guy to get more drinks. We decided we wouldn't eat there, and were heading out the door when he walked right by me. I blew him a big kiss (oh Uncle Dave, how I killed him with kindness...). His face lit up, he blew me a kiss back, and happily shouted "ciao!" And you thought I had mood swings! *lol* What a night.

Today I'm going to go wander through some 2nd hand shops and try to find a lamp for our rather dim living room. I'm also going to go down to Oxford TEFL to pick up my assignments. I think they'll be handy, since I have all my lesson plans and such in one of them, so I can recycle the lesson. Plus, if I ever want to TEFL again, they make a good portfolio. Tonight is Thursday night pub night, so all of my mates who are still in Prague are going to meet up at the pub to meet the new trainees, visit our old students, and chat with the tutors. It should be fun. I was going to go to the zoo today, but the weather is a bit grey, so that's been postponed. I'm a bit disappointed, because I was really looking forward to it, but such is life.

Well, I think I'll toddle off now. Oh, I now know my new mailing address, so if anyone wants it, I'll email it to them (Kathie, I'll email it to Hils, and she can give it to you... or do you have an email addy now?)

Love you all,
Elizabeth

1 Comments:

  • At 8:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd say that exchange was worthy of the Simpson's Autralia beer - coffee exchange, for all you Simpson's fans who know what I'm talking about!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home