That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I should probably be doing something more productive...

Hey guys,

well, it's 2.30 in the afternoon and my next class doesn't start til 3. There are lots of things I could be doing... working on the voice homework, the aural rehab homework, my thesis, the readings, the voice paper, the aug. com. communication board, the questions for aug. com.... but I thought I'd just chill. I have to be at school til 5.50 today, so I'll savor this little break. :)

My classes are fantastic so far. Aural (re)habilitation is all about working people who are deaf and hard of hearing, and involves loads of guest speakers telling us all about the method that they think is best for that population. There are tons of options available, and it's really interesting to evaluate them for ourselves. This prof also doesn't believe in exams, so instead we turn in a portfolio of homework and answer questions based on it. This is very cool, but also challenging for an Ela. Elas like to leave things til the last minute. Elas do not like to have to keep up on homework on a regular basis. It's going to be good for me, I know... it's just going to be challenging!

Adult Language Disorders II is fantastic! The professor teaches like she's talking to you over coffee. She's incredibly passionate about her material, and that's so contagious. I love it. :) It's also cool because we're talking about cognition, memory, attention - all topics that fascinate me.

Next up is voice and resonance, and it's fabulous, too. The prof has flipped the class around, and we're learning about treatment first, which I love. We spent today watching dyads act out certain therapy techniques, and guessing which was which. Very cool. :)

Then there's fluency (stuttering). The prof is incredible - so organized and knowledgeable. Also, she can imitate any sort of dysfluency on demand, so she's great at teaching via examples. Bummer - she uses pop quizzes, so I have to stay on top of the readings. ;)

Finally, there alternative and augmentative communication, which seems pretty sweet. I have to make a communication board for Megs to use on Friday... that should be fun.

So classes are good, but there's a metric load of work to do, plus my thesis, and my RA-ship. It's incredibly busy, and it's hard to be motivated to work on the evenings/weekends when Jason is off work and I'd prefer to be hanging out with him. Therefore, I've been trying to get everything done on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then Friday afternoons. It's sort of working - I've gotten lots done, but not everything. It doesn't help than unexpected things keep popping up, well, unexpectedly. ;) I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually. Right now it seems to involve obsessively scheduling using G**gle calendar: "right, Tuesday 8-9 is thesis, 9-10 is reading, 10-11 is homework..." It's a bit exhausting.

My RA-ship is also looking fantastic. Yesterday I was trained on how to analyze a modified barium swallow, and it was so cool!! There are 6 or 8 different things that I have to look for, and it's so neat to watch a swallow in slow motion and to see just how much happens in so few seconds. I actually witnessed nasopharyngeal pentetration yesterday: the client's chewed up cookie wound up sitting on top of his velum/soft palate in the nasal cavity - say it with me now: 'ow.' I'm also digitizing some cassette tapes, and continuing with the AIDS transcription. Busy girl!

Well, it's time for fluency now - catch you later, gators!

Elizabeth

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home