That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Alas poor August - I knew it well

Hi friends,

I cannot believe that August is over. Just can't. In fact, I refuse. :) In my mind it is going to be August 31 for at least another week or two.

The past week has been very enjoyable, and the weekend's been even better. On Friday, Jason and I had a lazy evening, bumming around and playing World of Warcraft. Yes, I have been geekified: Jason's got me into the WoW thing. I'm still pretty much only interested in playing if he's playing (we play side-by-side). We'll know I'm REALLY far gone when I start playing alone. :D Yesterday we took Jacob to the Telus World of Science, and I was really impressed with how great the exhibits were. They have a robotics centre (sadly, it was closed when we got there) where you can actually program a small robot to perform a rescue mission on Mars (3D terrains built on tabletops). We're planning to go back so we can try that out. They also had a station where you could build Lego cars and race them. Jason and Jake really got a kick out of that! Jake built a little car that was pretty much unbeatable: true boy's bragging rights. Today, Jason and Kathie and Brandon and I played Cranium Pop 5, Settlers of Catan: Cities and Knights, and Settlers of the Stone Age. I liked Pop 5 best, as it's something I'm actually good at. I totally got Jason to guess "Lance Armstrong" by pretending to ride my bike across the room. :) The best bit was when Kathie was trying to get Brandon to guess Shrinky Dinks by curling up into a teeny ball and then frantically pointing at her crotch. It was hysterical!

School starts Wednesday, and I'm so not ready to go back. I'm considering going to ogle school supplies tomorrow or Tuesday in order to psych myself up. Nothing like some new post-its and sharpies to get into the "let's learn!" mode. This term we have: Alternative/Augmentative Communication (e.g., sign language, voice production software), Voice and Resonance (an area of relative expertise for me, given that my thesis is based on resonance disorders), Fluency (stuttering/stammering treatment), Adult Language Disorders II (which absolutely HAS to be better than ALD I, which was an absolute WASTE of tuition), and Aural Rehabilitaion (about which I know absolutely nothing, except that it's taught by a fantastic prof). I'm pretty interested in all my classes, and there are no surprise profs this term, so it should be good. Actually, typing that all up has kind of piqued my interest again... maybe Wednesday won't be so bad?

Some of you have been asking about my interview at DriveABLE. It went very well, and it seems that I would be an excellent fit there. My understanding is that when hours become available, they will be in touch with me about training. The small issue is that they're hiring pre-emptively: they're currently able to handle the volume of assessments that they have. They have good reason to expect an increase beyond their capacity at some point in time in September/October, but they can't be sure when, and they can't be sure by how much. Therefore, they're simply not in a position to guarantee a start date or weekly hours. They were very open and up-front about this, which I really appreciated. I'd very much like to work there, so we're kind of at a 'wait-and-see' point in the process. In the interim I've also applied for a GAP (graduate assistantship program, I would be a research assistant or a teaching assistant, as I was at Compru in the winter term) and another research assistantship that's a bit more intense (12 hours a week, lots of research and writing about community research and knowledge mobilization, both topics that interest me). And for both of those positions, it's still 'wait-and-see.' Guess what I'm doing these days? Yeah. Waiting-and-seeing. :D

That's my news! Not much else to report, I'm afraid. Hope all's well with you.

Love ya,
Elizabeth

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home