That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Ugh, Communication

I may be all about the talking, but I'm so over this communicating business. ;) And for those of you who think that's not possible, I'd like to share a few Ela-style definitions with you.

In the world of rehabilitation medicine... Ok, just speech pathology (one of our profs asked a professor in the physical therapy dep't to differentiate these terms, and she couldn't). Anyways. In the world of speech language pathology, linguistics, and some psychology the terms 'speech,' 'language,' and 'communication' all denote different things. Crazy, I know. Let's begin, shall we?

Speech. Speech is the actual, physical mechanism of creating words using your lungs, your larynx, your mouth, and your nose. It is the airstream that is filtered through your vocal folds, mouth and nose.

Language. Language is a little bit more nebulous than speech is. It's all of the planning that happens before the muscles in your torso, neck and head work together to create the speech. Language includes things like grammar/syntax and vocabulary. If you create a sentence that is correct in your head, but don't actually say it out loud, that's language. :) Therefore, there are a variety of ways to use language. For example, writing uses language. So does sign (as in, sign language). Language does not require speech. It does, however, require symbols. So pointing up at the sky to communicate the message of 'up' is not language. That's not a symbol. Assigning arbitrary sounds to an idea is language. Assigning arbitrary scribbles that we call letters to an idea is language. Language must also be neoproductive. It has to allow to communicate an unlimited number of messages.

Communication. Communication is very cool. It doesn't require speech OR language. Infants are very effective communicators - and their tongues completely fill their mouths! How many of us have seen mums listen to their kids cry and say "oh, they're Ok. That's the hungry cry, not the hurt cry." Crying isn't speech. It isn't language. But it's primitive communication (I say primitive because it lacks intention - it's unlikely your 4 month old is thinking "hm, I'm hungry. I shall cry at 800 Hz and 65 dB SPL in order to indicate this). It's an oft quoted tidbit that the words we say make up only 7% of what our listeners hear. The other 93% comes from tone of voice, facial expression, and body language. This is why email and instant messenger can cause so many issues - you can't tell how the person is saying their message.

Anyhoo. I'm all about speech, and I really love language. But lately this communication business has been making me CRAZY!! The automatic assumption is that someone who talks a lot will be good at having difficult conversations. I completely disagree! It's obviously a possibility, but I could talk the hind leg off a hippo, and I stink at having to talk about the serious stuff. :) This is something I'm improving at, though, especially Robert is an excellent communicator, and is really encouraging me to learn to apply that which I already know (the counselling portion of my assessment class taught me a lot of skills).

Wednesday evening both Robert and I were a bit frustrated about a few different things, and my response was to be very quiet and to kind of avoid him. He was having none of that. I was eventually sat down and given a stern talking to about what makes relationships work. :) We managed to talk through most of the things that were bothering us, which was great, if tough for me. All communication-ed out, I was hoping for a quiet-ish Thursday. Instead, my clinical educator and I had a meeting, in which she expressed concern about how quiet I had been in meetings recently. I explained that I've been very tired recently, and that while I'm processing all of the information, I just wasn't sharing very much. She smiled, and informed me that she's the same way. When she gets tired, she gets quiet.

"However," she added "I don't think that your team understands where you're at. I think you need to sit down and communicate with them about how you work, and explain where you're at."

*headdesk*


See? See what I mean?? More communication! :D I am communication-ed out. I did actually sit down with my team and talk with them about how I work (I wish we'd do personality colours in our program. Then I could just say "when I'm tired, I go green."*). They were very pleased that I shared with them; I suspect they thought I was angry or some such thing.

This summer is definitely one of professional growth for me. I now know how to design an assessment, write an assessment plan, plan treatment, plan sessions, take data, and write treatment reports. I'm developing an arsenal of clinical skills on how to shape sounds, support conversation, and drill practice. And all of this is valuable. But all of it pales in comparison to the personal growth that I'm achieving through being pushed to communicate effectively. It might be exhausting, and it damn well might be frustrating, but it is so worth it.

Love you,
E.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Sean and I are both the "go quiet type", but whereas when I go quiet he doesn't really notice, when he goes quiet I immediately say "what's wrong?"

    Leads to some arguments - where do those fit in the language/speech/communication trifecta? :)

     
  • At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I love those definitions! Good job; full marks. *grin*

     
  • At 11:21 p.m., Blogger meesh said…

    hey miss communicator.....where's the next post :-) I mean, are you abandoning us? :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home