That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Back, Back in the Grad School Groove

Hi friends!

Well, it's September 6, and that means that I've officially completed Day One of the last semester of classes for my Master's. Very exciting. :) The first day went well (even if it was a little long): great professors, interesting courses, and of course, sitting next to Megs.

Our schedule is roughly 8-6 Mondays and Wednesdays, and 8-12 Fridays. Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for clinic (practicum). 8-6 (5.30, really, since Dr. C let us out early!) was a long day for a first day. I hate change, this semester is looking busy, and I was tired. When I went to Jason's for dinner, I cried the whole time I did the dishes.

"Ela! What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," I snivelled, dripping tears into the sink. "I'm just tired and overwhelmed and there's no way I'm going to be able to do everything this semester. There are projects and papers and assignments and my thesis and my RAship and I want to work part-time since I don't have to do clinic til January."

Watching me cry still, Jason asked "are you sure that you want to do this? I mean, if you honestly think that you can't manage it?"

I sort of laughed through my tears. "My Master's? Am I sure I want to do my Master's? Of course I'm sure! I'll be fine tomorrow, I'm just overwhelmed and overtired tonight."

"Well, Ela, you know that you have Tuesdays and Thursdays and Friday afternoons to do your homework, so if you just manage your time..."

I started crying harder. "Jason! I'm too tired to be rational right now. I just need to feel overwhelmed tonight, Ok?"

"Well, Ok, but I don't understand why you would CHOOSE to be out of control!"

I dropped the spoon I was washing back into the sink and started to bawl. I went and sat in the bedroom on the floor with my head on my knees and sobbed. Jason figured it out quickly. He sat down next to me, put his arms around, and said nothing. :)

Sure enough, when I got up this morning I was feeling wide awake and ready to tackle the world. I went and bought my last few books, organized my student loan, and got my UPass. That was followed by organizing my bookshelf, getting the semester's binders ready, arranging a meeting with my RA supervisor, and reading an article and outlining its subtitles for a group project meeting tomorrow. I am feeling confident about this term, and am looking forward to it!

This afternoon I want to spend about an hour on my thesis and get started on the term's reading. I was all set to only do the vital ones, but Megs has resolved to do all of them. Can't let her be the only one who does! We'll see if I can keep on top of them. ;)

I also have a job interview tomorrow at 1.30. If you're thinking of me, you could pray. :) It's an RAship that's 12 hours week working on a knowledge mobilization project. The opportunity sounds fantastic, so I'm hoping the interview will go well.

Also exciting is that I obtained a 3hr/wk. RAship through the department. I'm back with Dr. R at COMPRU. As I volunteered there over the summer, I've actually been with them for eight months, and have spent all of that time doing transcription. I go in, I put on head phones, and I write down the 50 words and 20 sentences. I score these for intelligibilty, and file them. I like the job because it's a nice balance of mindlessness (the job isn't difficult) and focus (you have to pay attention or you'll screw it up). As much as I like it, eight months is a long time. :) I asked Dr. R if that's what I would be continuing with, and yes, it is. HOWEVER - I get to split my time between transcription and analyzing modified barium swallows!! This is watching a video x-ray of a person swallowing radioactive barium in order to determine if there are any abnormalities in the swallow (e.g., delay or misdirection). This is so cool. I'm so excited! Dysphagia (problems in swallowing) is an area that fascinates me, and this is a fabulous opportunity for me. Yay!

Well, my 10 minute break is up - it must be time to start reading. I'll catch you all later!

Love,
Elizabeth

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:21 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    I resolved to do all the readings, hey? Darn. Are you sure? 'Cause right now I've read a grand total of about 4 pages and that seems like enough. Surely they're not actually that important... Can I be done now? :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home