That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"I'm not lazy. I'm aggressively passive."

Nothing like laughing out loud in the Toronto airport while reading Douglas Coupland's J-Pod because of the quote that's in the title. It kind of sums up how I've felt since I've gotten home from Prague: jet lagged and aggressively passive!!

The end of my trip was as good as the beginning, if substantially more surreal. Chris, my ex-boyfriend, emailed me while I was staying at Courtney's (I hadn't heard from him in a while), and actually ended up coming to visit me while I was there. There were a couple moments when it seriously felt as though I'd never left, which was actually quite disconcerting! We went to the sports bar with Rob and Marta to watch some of the rugby, and to the best little cafe in Malostranska (where I had an amaaazing latte [Dylan Moran: They're all slumped on the lawn like dead bumblebees, drinking latte! They're all disaffected! It's like Berlin, 1949!]), and to see Babel.

Ooooh the irony. Not "like rain on your wedding day" complete and total lack of irony, but the real, *headdesk* kind of irony. The kind of irony where you go to see a movie all about failures to communicate on multiple levels, where 3 of the 4 storylines aren't in English, and the subtitles are in... Czech. *headdesk* Actually, the movie was good enough that I was still engrossed, despite only being able to understand about 25% of what was actually said. But still!

Coming home was not as smooth as getting there. There was a snowstorm in Toronto, so I got held up there for an additional four hours. By the time I got into bed at mum's, it was close on to 3. I decided to skip Monday's classes and just spend the time getting organized. Then grandma called to say that grandpa was in the hospital, so I headed down to the Wonk with mum to visit them. I bussed back into E-town on Tuesday morning, just in time to meet with Megs, discuss our respective reading weeks, and go into Child Language Disorders to do a presentation with her. By the time I got back to my place, it was 6-ish, and I was wiped. I tried to get some work done on my thesis, but mostly ended up talking to friends on MSN and unpacking. I finally gave up at around 8.30 and fell into bed. I'm feeling quite a bit better this morning!! Hopefully I can get lots done in my breaks today, 'cause I sure didn't get anything done anytime else!!

Ok. I'm off to shower, and then to start on a midterm that's due tomorrow. ;) Me? Procrastinate? Never! I'm insulted that you would think that.

Love you.
Ela

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 8:56 a.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Thinking good thoughts about your Grandpa, honey.

    And I love you story about Babel, definitely ironic.

    Once I'm caught up on midterms I should be able to start sewing for you. I'm also glad you liked the apple cozy, it made me *squee* when I was finished it, particularly with that square glass vintage button perched on top.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home