That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

California Dreaming

My friends, it is no longer just a dream. We are in California. We are at my family's place. We no longer have to be in a van for many, many hours a day. Yay!! :) Most of the trip is a blur of driving, eating in non-descript restaurants and sleeping in generic hotels. However, a few entertaining things happened.

Thing the first: Last night we decided to stop in some little town somewhere, and we found a Holiday Inn... a little bit pricey for our "doing it on the cheap" plan. However, Megs and I wandered in, and it was a guy about our age working the desk. Grandma Scott would say he 'really loved the Lord.' ;) So in we go, and I ask if there are any good deals on that night. His reply? Something along the lines of "if I give you a good deal, what'll you give me?" After a bit of "oh that's a handsome shirt," and "you have a very nice accent" we got the $110 dollar room for $70. Which is really a bit of a joke, because it was 9.30 and were there really going to be hordes of people stampeding in behind us to take the room at full-price? But it was entertaining nevertheless. The power of being girls.

Thing the second: It was a beautiful day today (yay! since the days before were foggy) and the drive was exquisite. A quail ran out across the road, and I squealed, and poor Megs (who was driving) was not impressed with me. I was squealing for its life, not because it was cute. Anyhoo, she didn't run it over, so huzzah! And that was the closest thing to dangerous that happened on the whole trip, thank God.

So here we are, safe and sound. And now I think that I might go to bed... all this driving has worn me out.

Love,
E.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 9:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think statistics show that when an animal darts across the road we're not all that likely to hit it, and it's usually because the driver was startled and swerved that the animal gets hit. So no more squealing! :P

     
  • At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    You're right, but I realize I made a mistake. I think it was actually a grouse that ran across the road, and they aren't very good at darting. In fact, your cousin used to tell a story about someone she knew who killed grouse by driving past them and opening the car door, which they inevitably flew into, and then eating them while camping....

     
  • At 3:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Citezens demand citations for those statistics.

     
  • At 4:58 p.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    What statistics?

     
  • At 9:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I think statistics show that when an animal darts across the road we're not all that likely to hit it, and it's usually because the driver was startled and swerved that the animal gets hit. So no more squealing! :P", dear Elizabeth. Pay attention now!

     
  • At 10:51 p.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Oh yes, I see. I was looking back in the post, not in the comments. And because I'm an idiot - who are you, b.?

     
  • At 10:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a hilarious way to catch supper. Quite ingenious actually.

     
  • At 4:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home