That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

That movie was so good...

...I gave it three thumbs up!

Michael and I walked down to the sev (seven-eleven convenience store, for those of you not in the know) for a slurpee tonight, and were being our usual politically correct, redneck selves. As we reminisced about all our funny stories, we remembered one of the best... (cue swirling tunnel vision for the flashback).

My Uncle Jerry was a great, great man. I didn't know him very well, but when my cousins tell stories about him, he always sounds like most fun guy, the kind of guy who loved kids, and more than anything, loved a good laugh. He died very unexpectedly the summer after my first year of university. The whole thing was just a total shock. The funeral was a bit surreal, and afterwards there was coffee in a hall, being served by the wives of the Kiwanis or Moose members.

As I watched the elderly women pass around the cups and sandwiches, I noticed something unusual about one of them. Something about her hands... what is it, I thought. What's different? Suddenly, it clicked.

I leaned over... "Michael," I whispered, "that woman has 2 thumbs on her one hand! She has 3 thumbs!"

Word quickly spread down our table, the table with all the young uns. A few seconds later Michael whispers "that movie was so good, I gave it three thumbs up!" The cousins dissolve into silent hysterical laughter.

Gregg jumps right in. "Table for six please," he whispers, holding up one hand with the fingers spread. The cousins lose it, giggling out loud til the tears run down our cheeks.

People at the funeral who weren't family members are shooting us dirty looks, obviously thinking "kids these days! No respect for the dead." But the thing is - Uncle Jerry would have loved it. He would have been right there giggling with us.

So tonight Michael and I get each other going again. "That movie was so good," I say... "I gave it 3 thumbs up!" shouts Michael.

"Table for 6 please!"

"Oh geez Michael, I can't tie my shoes - I'm all thumbs!"

"I hitchhiked here - got here twice as fast!" he roars.

As Michael says - who needs drugs when you have siblings? So the next time you see two square built blondes wandering down the street laughing together, slow down a bit... odds are good you'll hear "that moview was so good..."

Love,
E.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home