That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Registered!

Huzzah! I popped over to BearScat this morning, and halfheartedly clicked the "Register" button - and it let me! So I'm now officially enrolled in my classes, and I got my first choice in all of them. How great is that? Of course, it seems a bit stupid to me that my letter telling me when I was able to register in my classes didn't actually show up before my registration date.... Universities! But I'm in. Now I just have to file a student loan application on the 22nd (better mark that on the calendar), and find out exactly how much my tuition will be in "mid-July" (according to BearTracks).

Oh yeesh. I'm just so excited. I tell you. I've really missed being in school, and now being registered in my classes makes it all seem so much more real. I've got timetables for fall AND winter term (I'll show you that one later on in this post - I'm not sure how much any of you actually care, but I'm excited, so you can pretend to be too, mmmmKay?) and BearTracks actually shows me as being a student at the U again. I'm feeling the urge to shop for school supplies coming on! :D

So, for those of you interested, my winter timetable is below, again with the list of classes I'll be taking. I'm super pumped for Adult Language Disorders, since my goal is to work with adult victims of stroke and brain trauma. Eek! Elizabeth. Is. So. Excited.

Love,
me.



First Year, Winter Term
January - April

SPA 501: Clinical Research Methods
Investigation of strategies for demonstrating scientifically the impact of clinical intervention programs, both for accountability and for contributing to the knowledge base regarding effective treatment. Students will be advised to approach staff members as resources for development of specific projects in anticipation of SPA 900.

SPA 509: Motor Speech Disorders
Study of dysarthria and dyspraxia (congenital and acquired) including the nature of their underlying neuropathologies, methods of instrumental and perceptual assessment, and systematic instrumental and behavioral management strategies. Students will develop their understanding of the course material via a series of clinical problem solving and treatment planning exercises.

SPA 518: Remediation of Child Language Disorders
A study of the theoretical models of intervention and clinical application in remediating children&s disordered language patterns. Specific attention focused toward commercial and clinician-generated programs that serve these various theoretical frameworks. Discussion of language goals, intervention strategies and accountability measures that serve to guide the therapeutic process and determine treatment effectiveness. The laboratory provides opportunity to observe therapy and design sample language therapy units.

SPA 520: Adult Language Disorders
Study of acquired aphasia including the nature of the underlying neuropathologies, methods of differential diagnosis and comprehensive assessment, and clinically-pertinent behavioral management strategies. Students will develop their understanding of the course material via a series of clinical problem solving and treatment planning exercises.

SPA 527: Language and Literacy
Study of language development in school-age children and adolescents, with focus on the relationships among oral language, reading, and writing; linguistic tasks faced by these age groups in school and elsewhere; and implications for language assessment and intervention.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:43 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    Hee hee, I know you'll have a great and relaxing year because - get this - you're in SPA all day! LOL I'm so funny. Sorry, I just had to make the joke.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home