That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Craniofacial Osseointegration & Maxillofacial Prosthetic Rehabilitation Unit.

Hello blog peeps.

No, I'm not a thug. The whole 'peeps' thing got started when Drs. B and H were debating about who was going to supervise my thesis. My material falls under Dr. B's domain, but the format is distinctly Dr. H's. Therefore, I started referring to them as my thesis people, which one of my classmates cleverly shortened to 'peeps.' My thesis peeps! So you can be my blog peeps. Don't you feel special?

Today's title is courtesy of Dr. R and my research assistantship. I'm doing the aforementioned assisting at COMPRU, a place that I couldn't remember the long form of the name for. But now I know it, and am sharing it with you! I went in for my tour today, and it's very cool. My part of the neatness is determining how intelligble samples are. Dr. R tells me that this could potentially be very boring, and so she will also attempt to arrange for me to sit in on various other things going on in the lab. These things could count towards my clinical hours! This is all seeming to cool for words. I also get to wear a badge. A badge! A blurb and a badge. It's all too much for me. ;) COMPRU does a lot of prosthetic work, which is just phenomenal. The befores and afters of the more detailed work that I saw at the clinic today are just unbelievable. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to work there!! :D

Today Megs and I got our topic for our Child Language Disorders project. We get to discuss the use of sign as an augmentative communication device, which is very cool. Please note that we aren't talking about using sign with normally developing children. It's become a recent fad for parents to teach language-normal kids to use signs, supposedly because it aids communication pre-lingually (before the kids are using words). However, research indicates that the iconic signs (signs that look like what they mean, as in reaching your arms up to indicate "pick me up") are used by kids anyway. And the more advanced signs that they teach? The kids learn them about the same that they start using words. So what's the point? And the other thing? Normally developing kids might use the signs... but they tend to say the words as they're signing. Again, what's the point?? Anyhoo, our project will be looking at teaching language-delayed kids signs, in the hopes of them being able to use them in place of words, while they're working on developing learning language. Very cool.

I also got my assignment for my Motor Speech Disorders project. I'm researching Bell's Palsy, which should be very interesting. It's so neat - each of us got a different neurological condition, and we each make up two pages of information, and then we copy all of them, and make a book for ourselves! So sweet!! I'm quite excited, can you tell?

Ok. I've got to go do some homework before Grey's Anatomy starts. Later days!

Ela

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home