That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No emails in two days!

Hello faithful readers... though I doubt your faithfulness, since I haven't gotten ONE SINGLE EMAIL since September the 4. I'm very disappointed in all of you. :(

Anyway, yesterday and today have been just terribly busy. As in, even more so than usual. I was all caught up as of Friday night... and then Monday morning, the avalanche came. We have two major assignments to be working, plus planning lessons, plus attending our classes... I love it! No time to be homesick. I could use some more time to, you know, eat and sleep, but I guess those'll wait. :)

I taught my first longer lesson (55 min) today, and ROCKED it. Yes, there are things I can improve on, and no it was not perfect. But it flowed. And I wasn't internally panicking the whole time. It was wonderful... a total rush. My students really seemed to enjoy it, and to learn something from it. Excellent!

Megan and I (do you all know who Megan is? anybody? She's the teacher from Chicago) have been looking to find an apartment here in Prague. When I first arrived here, I didn't think that I'd stay in Prague for the year, but.... Well, Megan and I get along really well, and I don't think that either one of use particularly wants to start new again after this class ends. If we live together, but work at different schools, I think it would be great. There will likely be a few more of our classmates in the city, too, so we have sort of a network here. If you all would send your good wishes and prayers that we'll be able to get jobs and an apartment, that would be fantastic.

I'm currently (as in it's in another window on the computer) working on my "materials" lesson. I have to create my own lesson from scratch. I'm planning on doing relationship vocab (e.g. boyfriend, girlfriend, love, hug...), and I think I'll do a listening exercise using a love song. Keely suggested Alison Krauss' "When You Say Nothing at All" (lyrics). I think it's great, because it doesn't use some of the words that you would expect it to (e.g. "love"), but it is still very clearly a love song. I'm looking forward to planning this!

Well, time to go. I'm sitting in on a low level class tonight to help prepare me for the switch. I only teach my high levels til Thursday, then we swap levels. I think it's going to be very challenging to go from teaching those who can communicate in English quite easily to those who know very little. I'll just have to remember working with the senior citizens... that should help me out!

I love you all. Please EMAIL ME! :) Or call... I like my new phone...

-Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 8:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahoj!

    i found it quite rewarding to teach lower levels... because when you have beginners, pretty much everything you teach them is new, & so they are little sponges! it's delightful. & you really get to see their progress. <-or rather, their prague-ress. oy. that's bad.
    sorry.

    take care, elizabeth!

     
  • At 1:26 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    hi Jenanne! I've been getting your comments, and I really like hearing from you. :)

    How's your summer going?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home