That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Good morning, good morning...

Aloha, all! (Dobry den is getting a bit boring, no?)

Yesterday was a rough day. Very, very lonely. :( And I was very tired, because of not sleeping the night before. The only thing that cheered me up was seeing a reminder of home on the metro... Mormons! They looked EXACTLY like they do in Edmonton: white shirts, backpacks, black slide-into-the-pocket name tags, and ties tied too short. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were North Americans here on their missions. But it still made me smile.

I spend a lot of time here smiling, or laughing to myself. I went to the Tesco (it's like a superer version of a super wal-mart), and they have instant noodles with an... interesting brand name. How about a little "Grunt" for dinner? I almost died in the soup aisle. I'm surprised I wasn't asked to leave. Also of note, for any of you who have ever had the misery of cashiering, they get to sit here. In little office chairs. They actually looked comfortable! :)

This whole Tesco business was very confusing. I sort of knew that it was supposed to have groceries. I looked on all 5 floors. Perfume, clothes, suits, stationery, computers, home furnishings... no food. Finally I asked. They keep a whole grocery store in the basement! It's amazing! You can buy EVERYTHING at this place. wowzah.

I woke up this morning feeling much less homesick, but still grumpy. Sightseeing by myself is getting boring, and the only thing I really wanted to do today is to MOVE INTO THE HOUSE. But I can't do that until 5pm. :( I was going to stay at the hotel til 10, but there was nothing to do there, so at 8, I headed into central Prague. I had no idea what I wanted to do. Nothing is open at that time, and there were no tourists around. I decided to wander (I do that a lot here). I sort of ran into the Charles' Bridge, a major tourist attraction. I got to walk the length of it, admiring the view, and the gorgeous statues that line it, with very few other people. It was so enjoyable! What a great way to start the morning.

Then I wandered off (and just so we're clear, when I say wander, I mean wander. I just randomly turn up and down streets.) and managed to wander myself right in front of the astronomical clock. You should google that for pictures, because it's so neat. I was just in time to watch the hour change, so I got to see the apostles pop out the windows, and watch the skeleton ring the bell. Very cool!!

Now I'm off to eat lunch on a patio somewhere, and while (wile?) away the afternoon. Then, at around 4, I'll head to back to the hotel (I left my luggage there), and then cab it to the house. I'll let you all know what the house is like tomorrow.

Love you all, keep writing to me!

Love,
Elizabeth

4 Comments:

  • At 7:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The astronomical clock does look very cool... something to really see in person though. :) Hope the house moving goes well.

     
  • At 12:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can't wait to hear what the school is like and how your accommodations settle. I was talking to Mom on Friday and she said that when you found the school that the receptionist's english was not so good. That's a far side kind of irony. We had a good chuckle about that. Have you been able to read my e-mails? Mom says I'm finally starting to grow up, but Amy thinks otherwise. It was Jasper's birthday last week and Amy's Mom sent her a present. So Amy sent her Mom a text msg to her cell from Jasper. Amy's Mom was on the golf course in a tournament and one of the ladies asked what the cell phone ringing was. Amy's Mom said it was an e-mail on her phone and the lady thought she was making it up (she'd never heard of txt msgs). So Amy's Mom showed her the phone. She said "Oh, goody it's a message from Jasper". The lady asked "Who's Jasper?" and Amy's Mom replied "that's my grand dog". Now this lady thinks Mrs. Heath is right off her rocker and starts to inch away as Mrs. Heath sends a reply to Jasper. So I guess in families where the grandparents have grandchildren, the idea of having a granddog seems pretty wierd.

    Hope you are having a great day,
    Love,
    Michael and Amy

     
  • At 12:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elizabeth,
    Do you have a digital camera?

     
  • At 12:50 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Hi Michael! Yes, I'm getting your comments on my blog. I don't have a digital camera, just a 35 mm, so pictures will have to wait a bit. :(

    I'm so glad someone else's family is seen as slightly nutty. I think it's great that Mrs. Heath actually txtd Jasper back!

    Say hi to Amy for me... she would love Prague, everything here is beautiful. Except for the fashion. More and more I'm thinking that the Czechs skipped that line for fashion, and booked it straight for the brewery ability...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home