That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Friday, August 26, 2005

The Pilgrim has Arrived

'allo all!

I've arrived in Prague. It was grey and disgusting when the plane landed (I wasn't even sure there was land under all the clouds and turbulence). I felt grey and disgusting, because a) I smelled really bad, and b) I couldn't figure out how to use the payphone to call a cab... or where to find a cab... or just generally how to get out the airport and to my hotel. Eventually, I got an airport mini bus that cost 960 krowns. It's as expensive in english as it sounds in czech. But I made it! And my hotel is really nice. I slept for 12 hours last night, and woke up to a beautiful, sunny morning.

I figured out the metro, bought a hotdog off a cart, and managed to find an internet cafe. Not bad, eh? Now I have to go and find my house (I move in on Sunday) and the school, and I'll be set.

So far, things are good. I must look like a local, because I was asked to do a survey... in Czech. I had to turn that particular opportunity down. ;) I've discovered that if you just stand in front of the hotel desk and wait for someone to acknowledge you (like we do in Canada), you will be ignored forever. So you gotta step up. I'm working on that. It still takes longer for me to get help than anyone else!!

Not much else has happened. I'll fill you in on what happens finding the school and house later on.

I love you all! Write to me!!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:54 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so happy you are off to a great start. I wish I was touring the old city with you instead of sitting here at my desk getting paper cuts! It's great that you've been on the Metro; that's always been a part of travels - travelling as many subways as I can. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures.

    Love,
    Michael

     
  • At 9:21 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Come visit! It would make me happy... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home