That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Lesson #1

Afternoon folks. I'm about halfway through my day at school, and I'm on lunch now. I thought I'd write a quick update and tell you about teaching my first lesson.

I taught the last section of a 4-part class. The others did the introduction, the reading exercise, the grammar, and then I did the listening exercise. I felt very comfortable, and I think things went well. There wasn't enough time to do everything (wow, I sound like a real teacher!), but I managed to "edit" fairly effectively. For example, we did only 2 of 6 sentences during one exercise to save a bit of time. One student came in really late today, so it was hard to determine what I should ask her, but I wasn't sure she was really following what was happening. I think I handled it alright; next time, I would make sure to take a minute while the others were busy and just catch her up a bit more. I also think I make have spoken in slightly too low of a grading... sort of like I was talking to jr highers instead of adults. I need to watch out for that.

Afterwards, one of my peers told me that I did a great job, and was really a natural. Ego boost! I said that it's all in the genes (thanks mum and dad) and the childhood (playing school in the basement). We do our feedback group with our tutors next, and I'm very interested to hear what he has to say. :) I think I might be an Ok teacher. I definitely use the skills I gained in both my degree and with volunteering with the seniors here, so I feel I've got a bit of an advantage.

I'm still on top of things, and I don't have to teach tomorrow, so I can focus on getting a few other things done. However, since I don't teach tomorrow, I teach 3 times next week... it'll be crazy getting ready!! :D I love it, I do!

Off I go for a bite to eat. I"ll likely write another post tonight, while I'm waiting for Megan (teacher from Chicago) to wrap up her class.

Love you all. Thanks for the emails, and please keep writing!

Love,
Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 5:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it's good to hear your teaching is going well, and i'm sure it will get better with experience! it's great hearing your stories too!!

     
  • At 10:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello elizabeth! it's jenanne. i just want to say congratulations on having your first classroom adventure. i'm sure that you will be excellent.

    when i was teaching this summer, i too found that there was hardly enough time for everything i'd plan for a lesson, but it was good to have always have extra as security.

    i hope you are enjoying prague & the lovely sights. :) i am envious!

    take care!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home