That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Second Post for the Day

Ahoy hoy!

Well, I'm still at school (yay for 12 hr days), but I've mostly wrapped up what I have to do. I did my lesson in plan in pencil, so I could adjust it... and now I can't photocopy it so it'll show up, and I have to give a copy to my tutor. Aargh! I guess I'll check with him tomorrow about what to do. I really don't want to have to redo it... it takes forever.

Today was (is?) looong. I had to be here at 8:55 to meet my students. I'm working with the high level group for the first two weeks, and they're practically fluent. It's quite easy visiting with them... I imagine the transition to the low level group will be quite a shock to the system. Today, we got some information from them, and then observed while our tutors taught the first class.

Have I explained what a tutor is yet? They're like our instructors. My tutor's name is David, and he's actually the course director. He's the one who will observe my first two weeks of teaching, and give me all the constructive criticism and such.

Anyhoo, after we did our class, we had a 15 minute break. Then we did our introduction to our Unknown Language Journal. We spend 4 hours learning an unknown language in order to understand a) how our learners feel, and b) to see how you run an immersion class when no one understands a word you're saying. We have to do an extensive written assignment on the experience, so it took awhile to explain.

Then, we started our unknown language. I'm learning Gaelic! It's really difficult, because our teacher doesn't speak any English to us at all. But that's how I'll be wherever I teach, since I don't speak any other language. It's challenging, but really fun, since our whole class really gets along well.

Then... we did our peer teaching, where I taught the rainstorm game. It went well, but I was a bit short for the time (I had left over minutes) but at least I didn't go over. Some of my classmates didn't prep at all, and just tried to "wing it." A few got away with it, but others you could really tell... :)

After that (I told you it was a long day...) we did our "feedback group" about our morning class. We just talk about what went well, and what could be improved, and then David gave us our lesson assignments for tomorrow. I have to teach for 25 minutes at the end of tomorrow's lesson. I get to do the listening tape... I HATED those in French class.

We had 32 seconds to grab some lunch (it was 4 PM), and then my group met up to talk about our students, so we could do an assignment on our first impressions. I spent this evening doing that assignment, making notes on my Unknown Language Journal, writing my lesson plan, getting my materials together for a lesson plan.... It never stops! Mum, dad... I have so much more respect for you as teachers now! And it's only day 2.

I'm absolutely pooped. I don't know how I'm going to keep up with everything! One nice thing is that the teacher from Chicago (she's one of my flatmates) told me that I have a nice "teacher's voice." Mum, dad, thank you for 22 years of "teacher's voice" lectures. :D

No funny stories today. Lucy and I are sitting here trying to think of one to entertain you, but no such luck. Perhaps tomorrow... check back then.

I've noticed my posts are being posted Canadian time, so I think I'll change that to Czech time.

I love you! Keep writing.

Love,
Elizabeth

3 Comments:

  • At 9:15 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    So lucky! Gaelic is such a beautiful language. Which gaelic is it, Scottish or Irish? I wish I was doing this program...it sounds absolutely wonderful.

     
  • At 3:15 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    It's Irish Gaelic. And this program is great, but I don't think I'm loving the 10 hour days... ;) I just finished teach my first lesson... amazing! More later when I publish a post.

     
  • At 9:31 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    *teaching. I just finished teaching my first lesson. And to think, they're letting me teach others to speak English.... What's this world coming to, eh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home