That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Other people say it better...

I've only been in clinic for a week and 2 days now, but I've already learned a lot. I'm so tired by the time I get home, though, that I don't feel particularly lucid or articulate. The following are a few quotes that caught my eye...

We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones. (Francois de la Rochefoucauld, 1613-1680.)
- Clearly, this man has worked in groups, and groups in the 17th century weren't so different from the ones we have today!! We all (myself included!!) do this: own up to something little ("man, I really stacked a couple of those questions" ) to try and avoid something worse ("man, that interview went badly!").

I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that the world must live up to mine. (Fritz Perls.)
- This is an attitude that I'm still working on! But come on - talk about the ideal way to function in a group!! :D

You probably wouldn't worry about people think of you if you could know how seldom they do. (Olin Miller.)
- Again - the perfect attitude towards group work. :P

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
(Joe Ancis.)
- It's true. :) But it's also true that people become much cooler and more interesting as you get to know them.

I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up.
(Tom Lehrer.)
- No! No, I don't!! I just sniggered when I read this - this speechie's black sense of humour is rearing its head. :)

So. Clinic. It's busy, it's tiring, and it's really, really, REALLY hard for an independent kind of student like me to adapt to having to do everything with a partner or in a group. BUT. The people are amazing. I couldn't have chosen a better group if I'd had the option. Our clients are incredible. The opportunities for this summer are endless. I just might need to be a hermit on the weekends to try and recharge. (Introversion! Ack! And here I thought that I was becoming an extrovert!)

Final quote for the day: She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit. (W. Somerset Maugham.)

Ciao bellas,
Ela

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home