That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Isak Dinesen is a wise woman

A woman writing under a man's pseudonym, Isak Dinesen (author of Out of Africa and Babette's Feast) commented that "the cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea."

I'm sitting in a lull right now - the calm before the storm, really. This week (and perhaps next week, too) are quiet, schoolwise. Completely full up, socially speaking, but that's a whole 'nother story. But it's a week into March now, and after this brief respite, all hell is going to break loose: assignments (I've got 3 lined up to work on already, with more on their way), papers (one lined up, another on the way), thesis things (I've got some ridiculous deadlines headed my way), projects (one major one for my thesis class that has me pre-terrified) and finals (6 of them!). Tied in with all of this is the fact that we're expected to be making some long-term decisions about our practica right now, and I'm not in my "long-term planning" mode these days. I'm really more into the "let's take this one hour at a time, shall we?" mode. *sigh* This, friends, is the work whose only cure is sweat. Lots of metaphorical, academic sweat.

It will be complimented with tears, guaranteed - winter term is always harder than fall, given that you're more tired and have fewer emotional resources to work with. I imagine that there may also be tears of relief when some of the sweaty things are done. I believe that the tears will be the cure for the sweat.

And then the ocean. I'm not a huge ocean fan, never have been. But lately it's come up more and more for me as a symbol of persevering and ultimately triumphing. And if I can make it out to Campbell River in August, then the ocean shall indeed by the cure for my tears.

On October 24, 2006, I emailed this to one of my thesis supervisors:
Hi Dr. H.,

I could meet you today or Thursday at 2.20, or Wednesday at 3.50. I'm sorry, but I won't be able to get my next draft of my program of study until Friday morning, because I'm right in the middle of 3 midterms. But I will get another draft done Thursday night!

Thanks for your patience in helping get through these starting stages! The Jewish midrash says "all beginnings are hard," and I couldn't possibly agree more. :)

Cheers,
Ela.
His response was this:
Ela,
I have you in my calendar at 4:00 pm tomorrow. See you then.
- P.
P.S. - It also says in the midrash that "...there seems to be a covenant made with the waters that whenever the heat is excessive and there is scarcely a breath of air moving on land, there is always some breeze, however slight, on the waters." Perhaps right now you are on land and the heat is excessive, but get this application in the mail, and you will be on the waters.
I think that's the first time that I saw the 'waters' as my seal for my Masters. My sign to myself that I can do this, I can complete this, I can excel at this.

I'm stranded on the land right now and the breeze is dying. But soon - just a few more months - and I'll be in the waters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a rubber ducky to buy.

Love,
elizabeth

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home