That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Question and Answer

Hi folks,

I have another few minutes, so I thought I would take this opportunity to share a bit more about my day to day life here in Prague. For starters, I thought you might like to see where I sit when I type most of these posts. This is the computer hallway at school.

It is, in fact, a hallway. Behind the guy on the chair is one of hte classroom doors. I'm not in this picture... it's not even mine. I "borrowed" it from the school's website. But now you know. :) It's a very nice place to sit, because there are huge windows over the computers, and the sunshine streams in.

Speaking of sun, I have had a beautiful two weeks' of weather here. Rumor has it that it rains a lot in Prague, but aside from the night I arrived, I haven't seen any. Instead we have beautiful sunny days in the low to mid twenties. The kind of days where you sit inside and wish desperately that you could be outside exploring Prague instead of inside learning about English grammar. *blargh* :)

Hilary asked me today if I had gone to a pub yet. I will answer that question here. Yet? YET?? YET?? My darling Hilary... we are generally in a pub at least once a day! That's where students can find excellent food for very little money. I frequently eat a meal (with a beverage, be it pop or Czech water [aka beer]) for 100 Kc. That works out to about $5 Canadian. And these aren't McDonald's meals... these are real meals, like goulash and dumplings (drowned in gravy... so bad, yet so good), or cabbage soup (oh.my.goodness. it's incredible here, if you know where to go) and a mixed vegetable salad (also scrumptious), or potatoes in cream and tomatoes... well, you get the idea. You can eat great food for cheap here if you have someone in your group who knows where all of these places are hidden. For hidden they are. Good food along with cheap prices is generally reserved for the Czechs themselves, so the places that have this intriguing combination are generally hard to find. Not that they aren't right in the center of downtown, because they are. They just tend to have smaller doors, no signs, and to be underground.

On a food related topic, carbonated water is tres populaire here. I couldn't get into at all until Sydney (one of the men in our program) introduced me to... Korunní. Czech for "crown" it is indeed the beverage of monarchs. It's carbonated water that is lightly flavored with orange or lemon. It is to die for. It comes in 1.5L bottles... enough for a full day! And a this wondrous sized bottle of kings' elixir is sold for only 13 Kc. Yes, my friends, a 1.5 L bottle of the most delicious water option is available for a whopping 65 cents Canadian. If you can find it... get it!!

Well, now that you're all hungry for some dumplings, and thirsting for some Korunní, I shall leave you. If you have more questions, send them! We can do question and answer every week. :)

I love you all,

Elizabeth

3 Comments:

  • At 6:51 p.m., Blogger Karlie said…

    I WANT some of that water! I like just regular carbonated water, like Perrier, but with orange flavour it really would be to die for. Too bad Thunder Bay is a Finnish/Italian city - although the Italian food and grocery here is incredible. Maybe I could import some of your stuff?

     
  • At 1:38 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    I think I'm going to have to start mailing cases of it into Edmonton, and stockpiling it for future consumption! I could probably ship a few cases your way. ;)

     
  • At 8:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This water does sound pretty cool. In Quebec we've discovered this malt drink in flavours like cranberry, lime, lemon and several others. At first we thought they were vodka coolers, but when we realized it said that nowhere on the bottle, and that the bottles look like beer bottles, that we're drinking some type of relation to beer. I'm just thinking of sending some home with my parents! Keep the weird food coming!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home