That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Old Mr. Webster Could Never Define

Hi all! I have 15 minutes before my next class, so I thought I'd quickly update the ol' blog.

I just finished teaching my "materials" lesson; the one where I had to create the lesson from scratch. I did use Alison Krauss' When You Say Nothing at All, and on the whole, it went well. The students actually seemed to like the song! Bonus! They had a sheet with the lyrics on it, but there were deliberate errors in it (e.g. what I fear when you don't say a word, should be hear). The students had to find all of the errors and correct them. They seemed to enjoy the challenge, and even asked to hear the song one more time so they could make sure that they had all ten. The only thing that I would change about this lesson is that there wasn't really an activity in it. If I did it again, I would have the students write their own song lyrics as an end to the class.

We only teach Monday to Thursday, so I'm feeling like it's the weekend already! I'm going to stay til 8:30 and try to get ahead on my homework, and then it's off to the pub for our Thursday night "social activity." Tomorrow, I don't have to be here until noon, so I can sleep in. Then I need to go to the bank. My debit card doesn't work here, so I need to figure something out. Friday, I'll stay at the school as late as I can trying to wrap up as much homework as possible, but then...

IT'S THE WEEKEND! Yay!! I will have some homework, but not too much. We're thinking we might catch a movie or have a Buffy (the Vampire Slayer, a terrible but addicting teen tv show) marathon. Megan and I want to spend Saturday vegetating... mmmm vegging... and then do some more touring around on Sunday. I don't know what we'll go and see this time... I suppose it depends on whether or not anyone else has finished enough of their homework to come with us.

I've got no interesting anecdotes today... all we do here is slave away at becoming ESL teachers. :) When they said intensive, they meant intensive!

Please keep the emails coming, I'll try and respond in a reasonable amount of time!

I love you all,

Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 4:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On the subject of bank cards not working: I know that when I went to Germany the first time, I found out that, while they tell you that you can use any machine with Cirrus or the Plus (depending on your bank here), they fail to tell you that all your money should be in the "Chequing" option as opposed to the "Savings" option. If it is in the "Savings" option here in Canada, you have no access to it. If this is the case, I hope you gave someone access to your banking info so that they can transfer the funds for you. Or you might be able to just transfer them yourself if you have the ability to bank online.

    Later,
    Bari

     
  • At 1:43 a.m., Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Bari, thanks so much for this tip. It could definitely be the problem. We're working on getting this sorted out... hopefully I'll have access soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home