That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Tuesdays are for Panicking

Oh dudes. Oooooooh dudes. Oh duuuuuuuuudes. Roughest. Lesson. Yet. But I held my own! *cue triumphant music* It appears that my original plan of the dictagloss (can't remember what is? *sigh* you need a better teacher... check yesterday's post) was not such a good one. At first, the students couldn't understand the dictagloss. Then, they didn't understand what it was I wanted them to do. Then they got bored. Then they started to shut down.

They started to shut down. But then, Captain Amazing (myself, of course!) leapt in, and saved the day. I'm not really sure that one can call it saving the day, when oneself caused the initial problem, but let's try and salvage my battered ego here, Ok? Now where was I? Oh right, the leaping bit. I leapt in and saved the day. That's right folks, I saved the day. How, you ask? How?? Why, by figuratively ripping my lesson plan up into 525 600 tiny pieces of paper and throwing it out the window. That's how.

30 minute dictagloss exercise? Fugedaboudit. Instead, let's leap ahead to the exercise that I was going to do afterwards! Hmmm... now I'm way ahead of schedule... let's go over some details that I planned to avoid! Next exercise! Hmmm... they finished that one a little quickly... let's make up another one! Hmm... again, they're done a little soon... Ok, correction time! We'll put every error up, and correct it as a class! Yeah! And then, then we'll drill our pronunciation of the word "swam." Everybody! Swam, swam, swam, swam.... I finally let them go a couple of minutes early.

Early, you say? EARLY? Well, yeah people... come on, cut me some slack! And I totally got away with it because... throughout the entirety of my half of the class... there was a band. In the courtyard. RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW. Warming up. Playing. Being generally obnoxious. We had to keep the window closed, despite the 10 people crammed into this tiny room, with the door shut to keep building noise out, and the WINDOW closed to keep the RUBBISH MUSIC from disrupting us! Darn tootin' I let them go a couple minutes early!

Despite the panicking, I actually don't have any homework that I need to do tonight. I'm waiting for Megan to finish her feedback group. And then we're going home. We're going to get there before 10:00PM. This is unheard of. It's a red-letter day! Home before 10! No homework! Spaghetti from a can! Well... what do you expect? Our apartment doesn't have any of those luxuries like a sink, or an oven! Back when I was your age....

Off I go... I'm sure you're sick of my stark raving madness. I hope you're all enjoying the blog.

Love,
Elizabeth

2 Comments:

  • At 11:05 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello!

    i am sorry you had such a stressful lesson, but it seems you saved the day quite smoothly! yay elizabeth! yay for lessons invented in 3 seconds!

    i tried to do a dictagloss with song lyrics with one of my classes this summer & it didn't work so well either. sketchy dictaglosses... bah.

    i hope you are well, & today's lesson is easier & free of band practices...

    take care!
    ~jenanne.

     
  • At 12:37 p.m., Blogger Bari said…

    Even though I haven't been sending personal emails to you, I'll have you know that I am THOUROUGHLY enjoying the blog and I hope that life teaching ESL is as entertaining as learning to teach ESL.

    Cheers

     

Post a Comment

<< Home