That's Just Speechie!

The wandering ramblings of a Speechie Student at the UofA.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

My Flat

Hello everyone!

Well, I have a few minutes to spare, so I thought that I would take you on a tour around my flat/condo/apartment/home. It's bright and tidy today, so we'll take advantage of that fact. ;)

First you come into the hall. I don't have a picture of that, because I've got a bunch of empty boxes waiting to go out, and I was too lazy to move them. It looks like a hall, nothing too exciting!

Then there's the kitchen:



Next to the kitchen (on the left) is the living room:



Then you go down the hallway (sort of to the left of this picture), and you get to my room!:




Then, across the hall, there's my favourite room: the laundry room. I'm so lucky to have in-suite laundry, and a decently sized deep freeze (thanks mum and dad!!):



Finally, there's the bathroom/washroom/WC/whatever you want to call it. Note the pretty shower curtain (thanks Kathie and Brandon!):






So that's my place. I didn't show you my roomie's room, because it's currently empty, and because I don't know how she feels about it! She should be arriving tonight, and I'm looking forward to meeting her.

I imagine she's going to show up in this blog occasionally, as will school friends. I didn't like using initials this summer, because it got confusing (I worked with 3 K's!), so I'm taking a new approach this time around. I'm just going to change people's names. The names will always refer to the same person, but this way you can sort of get to know my friends, too.

Anyhoo, the new roomie, Melissa, has been driving for a day or two, and should get here this evening. I hope she had an Ok journey. I'm not particularly looking forward to hauling boxes up the stairs, but since mum and dad did ALL of mine for me, I can't really complain. :) It will be a teambuilding exercise!

I imagine that at least one or two of you is wondering how my week has been so far. Two words: totally overwhelming. However, I've learned how to deal with that emotion. You just let it be! I'm giving myself til tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning to just be overwhelmed, and not do anything about it. Then, Saturday morning at the latest, I'm going to start with the to-do list, and get myself organized and on-top of things.

I've set 3 goals for this semester (and, if I can, for the whole program) and I'm going to share them with you here:

1) I will not have a nervous breakdown.
1a) I will keep organized and on-top of things
1b) I will not stress about things I can't control
1c) I will keep things balanced

2) I will not go out of my way to check my grades.
(Meaning that if a grade is written right on the assignment, I'll look at it. But I'm not going to look at grades posted online, or given in grade packets. I'm too addicted to being measured by my grades, and I want to get over that. What I learn is more important than what score I get)

3) I will be respectful, polite, kind and friendly to EVERY person in my class. I'd like, ideally, to have 39 friends this year. If I can't have that, I at least want to have a cheerful working relationship with all of my colleagues.

I realize that the last goal might sound a little weird, but this program is a bit like highschool. You've got all the same classes and breaks together, and I can already see cliques forming. And I don't mean groups, which is totally natural and Ok, but cliques, where some people aren't welcome to join. Personally, I think we're all a little too old for that bull, and I see no reason why we can't all be at least friendly, if not friends.

And speaking of friends, I've already made some. Prepare yourselves to hear a lot about Alison, Megan and Hannah - the 3 girls I've most hit it off with. We're doing our Audiology and Hearing Science project together, we're going to the beer gardens tomorrow, and I think we're having a movie night this weekend. Sweet!

So life is crazy but good. Several times this week I've been sitting in class and just been overwhelmed by a sense of accomplishment. I'm here. I'm doing my Masters. And like our dep't head said: "I just want to be a speech pathologist right now." It's too exciting to have a dream like this come true, and all the craziness is already worth it.

Love,
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home